TV on Lighting Ring Main?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some posts containing incorrect information have been removed from this thread.
Just about to move house and the main bedroom has nowhere to mount a TV wall bracket so I'm looking at ceiling mounts. Only trouble with this is the power supply would be off the lighting circuit. The TV is a 32" Sony Bravia that uses 55w when it's on. I'd need to get an electrician to do it but need to know if it's feasible. Obviously the 13amp plug would be changed to 5amp and possibly an RCD fitted. As I have little knowledge of electrics is this possible please?

Sponsored Links
The bit we look at is "Every installation shall be divided into circuits, as necessary, to:
(i) avoid hazards and minimize inconvenience in the event of a fault
(ii) facilitate safe inspection, testing and maintenance (see also Section 537)
(iii) take account of danger that may arise from the failure of a single circuit such as a lighting circuit
(iv) reduce the possibility of unwanted tripping of RCDs due to excessive protective conductor currents produced
by equipment in normal operation
(v) mitigate the effects of electromagnetic interferences (EMI)
(vi) prevent the indirect energizing of a circuit intended to be isolated.
It does not say power should not be taken for a supply used for lighting, and the electrician has to make a judgement as to if in your case he can use the lighting supply. Lighting is permitted less volt drop to power, but 55 watt is only the same as a bulb, so using a 2 amp or 5 amp three pin socket is likely an option.

As to
Lights are not on ring mains, they are radials.
well sockets are not technically on ring mains either, they are on ring finals, ring mains allow one to isolate part of the ring to work on it, but that can't happen with a ring final, but be it lamp or bulb, or any of the other places where it seems wrong term has been used, where it does not matter as it is clear what is meant can't see the point of correcting.

But more to point in the main the radial used from lighting goes from ceiling rose to ceiling rose, as direct as possible to reduce volt drop, and the switches often has no neutral, so unless your going to be fitting a projector in centre of the room it is unlikely there is a lighting supply near the wall. Many houses to again keep the run short are wired with two ring finals split side to side, it reduces the loop impedance done that way, so often the sockets are wired between the two floors, so except in a bedroom a socket supply is often as easy to reach to a lighting supply.

I would say some thing like this
ASPCR2000.JPG
means the electrician is not fitting a 13 amp socket to lighting circuit he is simply fitting a plug in ceiling rose, and if you plug the TV into this then that is up to you, he has not done anything which could be considered wrong, and it would not look wrong if in future you stopped using it.

If there is no power above it may mean channelling down

Winston does not agree with 13 amp sockets in the loft that are intended for small loads such as aerial amplifiers and TV etc. He is convinced that someone will plug in a vacuum cleaner and trip the MCB

If the lighting circuit is available, ( Live Neutral and Earth ) then a socket can be supplied from the lighting circuit to supply a small load.

Also sometimes the lighting is on a ring final circuit.

Last edited:
Awwww, what "discussion" did I miss? Ah wait, I can guess, the same old
upload_2021-4-14_18-8-4.png
from winston1.

Sponsored Links
My popcorn supply was depleted, so I nipped out to get some more and this happens.......:(:(

Fitting a 13amp socket has the big advantage that the plug can be left undisturbed on the TV, just ensure there is a label on the 13amp socket making it clear it is on the lighting circuit rather than a general purpose 13amp socket on the ring. I have one 13amp socket like that, simply because it was convenient to have a socket to supply a phone, where the only close by power was a 5amp supply for the stairlift charger. The phone had a wallwart 13amp plug, so not possible to change it.

Aww. I was going to mention that Winston had been keeping a low profile recently (he’s been quiet on Screwfix under a different name too).
But I guess he has been saving up for some unsuspecting poster to step on his hobby horse. And then blast with them with both barrels.

My telly plugs into a 5 amp socket with a 5 amp fused plug, the socket connects to a standard lightswitch on the wall by the door and is on the lighting circuit, so i can turn the telly on when i access the room, i am sure its a hell of a lot more than 55W

Who, Winston, or Kenneth?

Kenneth is cracking, Winston is just crackers

Whinny has posted this on my profile

WHY are you stirring? I have never said sockets should not be in the loft, only that they should be on the right circuit.
You know full well that lights are not wired on rings.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back