tv remote from DVD / games console etc - what wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm planning on mounting a new LCD over the fire place, instead of on the floor net to the fire place.

The chimney breast is double sided and free standing between two rooms

i can get wiring down a void in the chimney breast (not in the flue!) from above.

I want to connect other bits and bobs, such as DVD and maybe a games console without trailing wires, so i'm thinking..

HDMI (?) sockets in wall
wiring up to ceiling - across and down chimney to sockets behind new TV

is there a problem with the wiring being so long?
can i run the power next to the AV cables, or will this cause a problem>

thanks

it will be about 7m from socket to socket (MAX)

Sponsored Links
Power next to AV signals is a no-no. It will cause interference. Either use shielded mains cable (expensive and not a guaranteed solution) or have a 8"-10" gap between the power and signal cables when they are running parallel to each other.

HDMI cables - it's a huge can of worms. A lot of folk will say buy cheap ones because digital is digital...it either works or doesn't. That's a gross oversimplification.

I do AV installs for a living. I use budget cables where the signals are lower resolution (Sky HD @ 1080i) or where the total distances are very short - say under 3m because all the gear is below a TV, or where the cables are accessible and easy to change if something stops working. But if the cables are going in wall, or where distances are longer, or where the resolutions are 1080p+ (1440p is on the horizon), or where I need future-proofing, or where there'll be wall plates... or any combination of the above then I take no chances. I use something better quality that's guaranteed to work, and more importantly it'll keep working as the electronics attached age and go slightly off-spec.

The thing about digital signals is that everything in the chain can be just the right side of OK and it will look like everything is working perfectly. All it takes is for one item to go slightly off and the whole chain can fail. There's a very small margin of error. 100% works, 99% fails. You'd be surprised at the number of reputable hardware companies that engineer their products to hit no more than 100 or 101% because that's all they need for a HDMI certification pass.

Back to your job; if it was one of mine I'd spec some HDMI Category 2 (CAT2) cable by Better Cables . The product code for the 8m is SSHDMI-8-HH-C2. The "C2" at the end means CAT2. Without that then it's the lower spec CAT1. Be careful when you are comparing prices. The next one down is 5m - too short for your needs. You can get these from Ivojo, The Media Factory, AVpeople and a few others. It's well worth the extra over cheaper stuff.

I'd also spec some additional cable even if it's not used right away. A PC connection with audio can be useful. A basic composite video with audio is handy too.

For wall plates have a look at CPC. They have some starting from under £25 inc VAT.

thanks!

AV is all a bit beyond me. Just as you understand it - it all changes!

due to the 'can of worms' element, i'm planning on doing the grunt work myself, but will probably choose to get a reputable local chap to do the actual install and check.

With high costs involved, i dont want to be chasing faults through the system, and find out i was a muppet!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back