twin and earth wired bathroom exhaust fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have an unused wall vent in my bathroom in which I now wish to install ventilation. there is existing wiring in the duct which is live (brown) neutral (black) and earth (green), valid stuff I believe.
There is no easy way of getting 3 core wiring into the duct without removing wall tiles, at least, which I am reluctant to do.
Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably effective, reasonably quiet, wall ventilator which can use the existing wiring? The lack of a timer would not bother us.

Sponsored Links
I have an unused wall vent in my bathroom in which I now wish to install ventilation. there is existing wiring in the duct which is live (brown) neutral (black) and earth (green), valid stuff I believe.
Where does this wiriring come from, and is there a switch somewhere which controls it?

You say that you don't necessarily need a timer fan (which, as you realise, you couldn't without 3-core {plus earth} cable). How do you want the fan to be controlled - do you want it to have a switch of its own, or do you want it to come on with the light (and stop immediately the light is switched off)?

Kind Regards, John

John,

Yes, I didn't tell you enough. Sorry about that.
There is already a ceiling pull cord installed and when I put my trusty testing screwdriver on the exposed wires in the duct it showed the pull cord is operational. In other words, the live wire lit up the driver. I turned the light on and off and this made no difference, so the previous fan must not have been wired to the light.
I'm sure the wiring comes from the loft in our bungalow. This is boarded and I don't want to have to rip any up unless I have to.
We would be happy to have an exhaust fan which didn't have a timer and went off when the pullcord was pulled. We are both retired and can pull things around any time. Great life, ain't it!
Thanks for your reply

There is already a ceiling pull cord installed and when I put my trusty testing screwdriver on the exposed wires in the duct it showed the pull cord is operational. In other words, the live wire lit up the driver. I turned the light on and off and this made no difference, so the previous fan must not have been wired to the light.
Are you saying that your "trusty test screwdriver" stops lighting up when you operate the pull switch? If so, then any non-timer fan will do - most, if not all, ranges of extractor fands offer both time and non-stimer models.

Even though it has served the present purpose, you will probably get some comments about your "trusty test screwdriver", since they are very unreliable, and hence potentially dangerous. If/when you work on that wiring to connect a fan, make sure that the power is properly turned off (at your consumer unit/fuse box) and that you have verified that the wire is no longer live (ideally with something other than your screwdriver).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I don't think they made cables with only " (brown) & (black) " I expect there is a grey in there too, snipped off

Right, I've ordered an Airflow 4" non-timer ecoflow fan. It has a 3 year warranty which I find attractive. It will take a couple of days I imagine to get to me.
I shall let you know when I have installed it.
Thanks, guys, for your posts and willingness to help.
Leafyman

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back