Twin & Earth......Creosote?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

Under my timber constructed carport,
I have wiring for a couple of sockets and wiring to flourescent tubes.

Due to damp under the carport from a neighbour's boiler flue,
I plan to treat the timbers this summer to prevent water damage.

If I use a sprayer for Creosote, I will spray onto the twin & earth.

Will it be affected? Anybody have any experience of Creosote (or similar) on wiring?

Cheers.

Ian.

Sponsored Links
Hi there.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I've just realised......

The stuff I've been using on my fence etc.
Is labeled up as "Creosote Substitute" or something like that.

Any idea of the effect of "Substitute" on wiring?

Ian.

it is likely to be a funny mixture of solvents and chemicals. You could write to the makers, but as a rule of thumb, keep most solvents and chemicals away from wiring. Thick plastic sheet might protect it, but aluminium foil is less likely to be attacked by anything that might attack the PVC sheathing. Certainly clean off any drips or overspray at once with sponge and household detergent (no solvents, again). Cover all switches and light fittings.

Some solvents might make the sheathing go soft and tacky, or hard and cracked. Luckily replacement cable is quite cheap to buy.

BTW Cuprinol Green is a much better wood preservative than creosote substitute.

Applying by brush will be more accurate than spraying it.

BTW2 wood preserver prevents rot, but will not prevent damp. Shed and Fence wood stains leave a waxy, water-repellent film on the wood and are very easy to apply and recoat.

Sponsored Links
Due to damp under the carport from a neighbour's boiler flue, I plan to treat the timbers this summer to prevent water damage.

You should also give a serious thought to the other fumes coming out of that flue. Are there any windows or door opening into the carport that would allow fumes into your house.

If damp is a problem it may be that there is not enough free space around the flue's terminal ( where the fumes come out ) to ensure safe dispersal of fumes.

If this is a new boiler flue was it installed in compliance with the gas ( enforcable ) regulations about clear space around the flue terminal ?

Maybe an informal word with the local building control office to see if the boiler was installed as per submitted plans for the recent building work.

There's you answer, then, Unklian - get your neighbour to sort out their boiler flue.

The flue......Our two houses are side by side.
We both have boilers about 25 years old.
The carports (they have one) nearly meet in the middle.
We used to have a through draught from the rear of the houses to the front
so any damp blew away. Following the building of a downstairs toilet,
just next to their flue, the air is now very still so condensation forms.
......However......When their C/H man saw what was happening,
he is now removing the old boiler and installing a new combi boiler
upstairs in their old airing cupboard......Hopefully within a couple of weeks.

Hopefully, with my new roof and their new boiler, I should be OK.

@bernardgreen. No windows / doors at all.
Boilers have been there for 25 years+, Carports about 20. It's only their new loo that's spoiled the airflow.

@JohnD. Thanks, I have replied.
Cuprinol Green coloured carport it is then.
I have used Creosote Substitute in the past as...... I'd rather prevent rot
than try and keep damp out. I've had varnished sheds......cracked and let water under varnish and looked bad......and a Creosoted shed......not pretty, but not rotting!

Cuprinol Green OK on wiring?
I'll be wiping it off as I go along.
Cheers.

Ian.

The 14th Edition was so concerned by the use of creosote, it had its very own regulation:

K15. Cables sheathed with pvc, pcp, csp or nbr/ pvc shall not be placed where they would be liable to contact with liquid creosote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back