Twisted earth wires in light fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to replace an old-style ceiling rose with a modern light fitting. I've found that the three earth wires in the rose have been twisted and sheathed together - it's been done such that it is impossible to remove the rose without untwisting the wires. It might not be clear from the photo, but one earth wire comes down through a different hole to the other two, effectively binding the rose to the ceiling.

So, unless anyone can suggest a trick to get the rose off with the earth wires as they are, I assume I need to untwist them. Do I just go at this with pliers? I've read that twisting and untwisting wires can weaken them, and they can sometimes snap.

What would you do?

Sponsored Links
Every job is different.

If you don't want the old rose, then break it off with pliers.

You could leave the earths twisted as they are, maybe just cut the very end off to neaten it before fitting to the new earth terminal.

You COULD untwist them, and sleeve them individually - and hope they don't snap as you untwist them. (They don't usually - although yours look excessively twisted.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back