Twisted stable door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a wooden (exterior) stable door, the top half of which is twisted.
Any thoughts on how to straighten it?

Sponsored Links
picture
construction method
treatment used
prevalling weather
direction off twist
would help

Less than a year old.
Cheap pine.
Perimeter frame with T&G infills. Hirozontal internal bracing, but no diagonals.

Only undercoated so far but in the process of getting glossed.
Pretty sheltered, but subject to more sun than rain.

Looking at the door from the outise (it opens outward) with hinges on the left, twisted out on the top right corner.

Will try to get a pic up.

i would look at an X on the back going from side to side
lightly pin a bit off say 4x1" to the highest two points then another bit at 90% clamped or screwed to force the door over 50% the twist the other way

Sponsored Links
Photos will help.

On a M&T door, if you put your foot against the bottom corner on the Lock side, with the bent top bending away from you, grab hold of the top corner and pull it towards you. There may be a crack, and the joints will move enough for the door to reshape, I have successfully done this on numerous old M&T panelled doors. The crack is the old paint in the joints. You have to pull it slightly beyond the vertical because it will spring back a bit.

p.s.

as yours is a stable door I suppose you will have to brace it against your hip or something rather than your foot.

JohnD - Tried just twisting it before, but the twist seems to have returned.

Big-all - do you mean this:
If the current twist = 1.
And no twist = 0.
Brace the door so twist = -0.5?
If so, how long would you leave it like that?

yes so when you relax it it spring back flat hopfuly
its trial and error really
along with john d method
then you look at wetting adapting joints and adding a perminent timber with a counteracting spring to neutrilize it

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back