two doorbells one button

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two door bells with one bell push
Hi All,
newbie here to this forum so please bear with me if some of my descriptions appear basic.
I came across this great forum through a google search on a similar thread which you guys sorted so hopefully you can help.

Anyway after numorous missed calls to the front door i thought it might be a good idea to add another doorbell chime in the front foom as well as the hallway so i bought a couple of cheap doorbells from amazon here in uk
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GreenBrook-W...Classic+Galaxy

complete with transformer as the doorbell switch has a 8v bulb light which iluminates so battery is out of the question, ( i do want to keep the illuminating option)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GreenBrook-M...me+Transformer

Anyway after looking at the earlier post on a similar project on this forum i understand that i have to wire the doorbells in series, i have done this but although they do ring when wired on their own they are pretty soft when wired in series.

The transformer can be wired to be 4v 8v or 12v and with if batteries were being used the doorbells use 3 x 1.5v.

Can anyone give me some advice of the best way to go with this, should i be using a different transformer? oviously i do want to keep an illumination in the bellpush, can anyone supply me a wiring diagram, can i wire another transformer in there to make the doorbells ring normally but keeping the light please, thanks for all advice...

Sponsored Links
If using only one transformer then wire from 12v output and wire the chimes in parallel. If wired in series they are only getting a part of the supply.

Hi, I did try using the 12v option but the bulb in the bell push blows after a few hours!

Hi, I did try using the 12v option but the bulb in the bell push blows after a few hours!
That's not really surprising if its an 8V bulb - you need to use the 8V output from the transformer.

You could then try putting the two chimes in series, so they'd each get about 4V (a bit less than the 4.5V they're expecting from batteries, but probably enough).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Anyway after looking at the earlier post on a similar project on this forum i understand that i have to wire the doorbells in series,
Really? Got a link to that post?
I don't know what (s)he is refering to, either - but if the desire is to try to run an 8V bulb and two chimes designed to run on 4.5V from the same power supply, I don't think there is much choice but to try putting the chimes in series.

An alternative would be to use the 4V output of the power supply, with the chimes in parallel, and see if the lamp was bright enough at the voltage to serve the desired purpose.

The whole exercise would, of course, be simpler if the OP had obtained chimes and illuminated push button which were compatible, voltage-wise!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back