Two gang switch, halogen downlight and photos

So we attached the halogen light as plugwash described and all is good. My next question is (assuming the second switch does control the rear PIR) whether it is possible to swap the 2 gang switch for a 3 gang and operate all the lights separately? If so how would it be wired? Or would we have to get an electrician in to run a new cable to the switch? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
So we attached the halogen light as plugwash described and all is good. My next question is (assuming the second switch does control the rear PIR) whether it is possible to swap the 2 gang switch for a 3 gang and operate all the lights separately? If so how would it be wired? Or would we have to get an electrician in to run a new cable to the switch? Thanks.
Yes, in principle you could do that. Unfortunately, as you have sort-of guessed, it would need an extra cable from the switch to the JB. The reason ... to be able to control all three lights separately, you would need three separate switched-live connections, but your present cable only provides two.

As I think I asked before, might it be acceptable to have both outside lights controlled by the same switch? If so, that could be done with your existing switch and cables.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, we could operate the two outside lights together. It'd mean the rear one would be on when we didn't necessarily need it but it's not the end of the world. Presume the rear one would have to be a fixed light rather than PIR?

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, we could operate the two outside lights together. It'd mean the rear one would be on when we didn't necessarily need it but it's not the end of the world. Presume the rear one would have to be a fixed light rather than PIR?
No, the rear one could continue being a PIR-controlled one. If you did that, it wouldn't come on when you switched the other one one (except for the usual initial few seconds!) unless someone was moving around in front of its PIR detector.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
That sounds okay. How would the junction box differ from plugwash's description?

That sounds okay. How would the junction box differ from plugwash's description?
It wouldn't differ at all. The only change would be in the wiring at the first outside light .... the (red) feed to the second outside like should be connected to the yellow (rather than red at present) from the switch - i.e. connected together with the red-sleeved-yellow in the 3-way connector block. The red from switch could then be left alone in the single connector block, to keep it safe.

My only concern is that before you start sending electricity to the second (rear, PIR) outside light, you really ought to find out what's wrong with it (since it has not been working).

Kind Regards, John

My only concern is that before you start sending electricity to the second (rear, PIR) outside light, you really ought to find out what's wrong with it (since it has not been working).
For sure. The rear light is mega rusty and doesn't have a bulb in it so that's our 'easy' assumption but we're not going to plough on as though it's a given. It sounds as though we can fit the halogen light as described, get the plasterboard back up and finish decorating, then address the rest later. In the meantime I will read up just so I understand the logic to it all. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back