Two jobs for me to look at at the weekend, advice required..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Ive a couple of woodwork type jobs i want to start, or consider starting this weekend.

Firstly, I want to make and fit a couple of gates. One double gate for my drive and the other for the side of the house.
We have gusty winds up our drive and currently we have steel gates in place, but we would like to replace them with Timber ones, Made in such a way that they create privacy, but also allow the wind to pass through. Ill be building the side gate the same way too. Any advice, on design, Structure, and timber, and construction methods greatly recieved.

Secondly, I planning on fitting a side entrance to my garage, ie already got the Lintle to support the single brickwork structure, but would like to buy a timer door, and frame, this one has to be on a small budget but need to be strong to protect my garage tools etc.... Will I be better buying a frame, or can these be baught with a door?

Ive done a little bit of timber work, but nothing as extravgent as fitting a door from scratch, or going as far as making my own gates...

Hopefully someone here can point me in the right Direction.

Rgds

M.A.

Sponsored Links
Hi MA

The most obvious way to build a gate which will handle gusty winds is to emulate the "hit-and-miss" fencing utilised by councils, schools, hospitals where a series of 4 x 1in planks with a 1 to 2in wide gap are nailed one side of a frame and then more 4 x 1s are nailed on the opposite side with the centre-line of each plank aligning with the centre-line of the gap on the otherside. This allows to wind to blow through, albeit slowed somewhat and with little gustiness, and also allows a good degree of privacy. It is, however, not the lihghtest way to build a gate. The frame beneath it will need to be some substantial diagonal-braced stuff to be able to carry the weight.

As to the garage door the most obvios solution for a home build would be a braced and ledged door in a built-up frame made from something like 4 x 3in PAR pine with a 2 x 1in planted-on stop to create the rebate. This could all be made from off the shelf stock

Scrit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back