Two Lights Controlled by a Single Switch

I very much doubt there is an existing junction box. in total there will be 5 terminations (including the earths which I haven't shown for clarity) It will depend on is there is any slack in the cables as to whether 1 or 2 junction boxes are required.

The method I've shown will not require extra cable being run to the switch, depending on the location of all the existing components you may have to provide new cable to a light fitting.

Please be aware the sketch I have made is based on assumption and it's quite possible it may not be correct. You will have to verify this before starting any work.

It looks like you have 3 cables at that switch: two twin and earth and one 3 core and earth.
Ok thanks.

Just taken a look at both ceiling roses:
1000004245.jpg
1000004247.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hmm, maybe loop in at the switch. Need to see the wiring of the other switch.
Still probably no junction box involved.

Hmm, maybe loop in at the switch. Need to see the wiring of the other switch.
Still probably no junction box involved.
Just to be clear, these are the 2 lights that come on together that im trying to separate. Do you still need to see inside the other switch for the spotlight?

Just to be clear, these are the 2 lights that come on together that im trying to separate. Do you still need to see inside the other switch for the spotlight?
Which lights have the two switches, the spotlight or the two you are trying to separate?

Sponsored Links
Finally been up the loft to see what I can find. Access still a bit limited but I can see the runs to both lights.

The bedroom light connects directly from itself all the way round to the dressing room light, then the dressing room connection runs to the switch. So that explains whats going on.

So to separate then, is it a case of pulling the cable for the dressing room up and away from the existing switch and use it to feed a new switch, which will also need tapping into existing power.

Then for bedroom light, disconnect from dressing room, pull back through and then pull through to existing switch?

These are the cables for the lights, assume the thicker lighter one 'should' be power?

1000006334.jpg

Finally been up the loft to see what I can find. Access still a bit limited but I can see the runs to both lights.

The bedroom light connects directly from itself all the way round to the dressing room light, then the dressing room connection runs to the switch. So that explains whats going on.

So to separate then, is it a case of pulling the cable for the dressing room up and away from the existing switch and use it to feed a new switch, which will also need tapping into existing power.

Then for bedroom light, disconnect from dressing room, pull back through and then pull through to existing switch?

These are the cables for the lights, assume the thicker lighter one 'should' be power?

View attachment 339536

From your descriptions, I believe this sketch shows the existing arrangement and one solution of which there are a number of alternatives.
Based on the right hand switch of the 2 gang,the switch in the red box is a prediction which could be wildly incorrect but is not relevant to the job you wish to do.

1712525627013.png

All you require is access to the 2 twin and earth cables, a cable from the main light to a 5 terminal junction box to include the earth wires which I've not shown for clarity. Wago boxes seem to be the prefered these days, such as https://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-41a-junction-box-55-x-126-x-115mm-grey/412ft wago connectors sold seperately.

Junction boxes are not classed as dodgy DIY wiring if done correctly, despite what some members may say.

All of this assumes you are not able to get another cable down the wall to the switch which would be the best option.

Last edited:
From your descriptions, I believe this sketch shows the existing arrangement and one solution of which there are a number of alternatives.
Based on the right hand switch of the 2 gang,the switch in the red box is a prediction which could be wildly incorrect but is not relevant to the job you wish to do.

View attachment 339567
All you require is access to the 2 twin and earth cables, a cable from the main light to a 5 terminal junction box to include the earth wires which I've not shown for clarity. Wago boxes seem to be the prefered these days, such as https://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-41a-junction-box-55-x-126-x-115mm-grey/412ft wago connectors sold seperately.

Junction boxes are not classed as dodgy DIY wiring if done correctly, despite what some members may say.

All of this assumes you are not able to get another cable down the wall to the switch which would be the best option.
Thank you, so the connections within the junction box, is that each of the stars in your diagram? So 4 connections?

Thank you, so the connections within the junction box, is that each of the stars in your diagram? So 4 connections?
Yes. I show 4 but don't forget you require a 5th fo the earth. There will be 5 earth wires

View attachment 339567

Can I just clarify your left hand connection at the switch in your solution diagram for the Main light please? The connection from junction box to switch is blue and brown on your diagram, I assume should be brown? and also what do I use for this wire as that's not currently connected at the switch end? Am I reusing one or do I need to feed a new one?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back