Two meters into one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there...

We have just bought a property that has a split electricity supply ie two meters. (property was a Drs surgery ground floor with a self-contained flat above.)

Who do we have to contact to get the supply combined through one normal meter? We have no idea who the last electricity supplier is or was although the power is still on thru both meters. We bought the property at auction and the previous owner is uncontactable, so no help available from him. Would appreciate any and all help on this as I have no clue how to proceed.

Many thanks in advance! :D

Sponsored Links
You now own the property so you will be paying someone for the electricity you use so try them

Sometimes it is on the actual meter
ie property of ******
Contact them and they might know

If you have not already done so take meter readings ASAP, the sooner after aquiring the property you do it the less chance of complications because of being unable to tell with reasonable accuracy who used what electricty.

First you need to find out who the electricty and if the property has it gas supliers are.

For gas ring national grid gas on 0870 608 1524 they will tell you who the supplier is so you can contact them about getting the supply put into your name.

For electricity first you need to find out which DNO covers your property, there is a map at
http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Elec...stributionCompanies/DistributionCompanies.htm

Then ring the DNO (don't use the emergency number given on that page as this is not an emergency, check the website of the dno and find a suitable enquiry number) to find out who your electricity supplier is.

Once you know who the suppliers are (rember the two supplies may not be on the same suplier) you need to get them to move the supplies into your name.

while all that is going on (may involve posting some forms so may take a bit) you or an electrican working on your behalf needs to plan how they are going to move all the load onto one supply and then someone needs to do that work (this work is notifiable under part P).

Once all the load is on one supply and the paperwork is in your name you should be able to get the supplier for the other supply to cancel the supply and remove the meter.

I would leave any supplier changes until later, right now they are just another potential complication.

Sponsored Links
Sometimes it is on the actual meter
ie property of ******
Contact them and they might know

Nope!
The Meter belongs to the DNO or Metering company not the supplier.

Where I live all the meters say property of MANWEB(now Scottish Power) or North west summit or other(company's working on behalf of british Gas) as these are the 2 companys allowed the fit meters to our network.

If the meter says Property of MANWEB and the customer is with NPOWER(or any other well know supplier :D ) the customer would phone NPOWER.

As for the question AFAIK it's not necessary to find out who your supplier is as you can just pick a supplier and say "hello please supply me" and they will sort out what needs to be done.

...for all your help..it has been very very helpful. Alas I fear I have opened up a very large can of worms...turns out that E-on are the ones who now have the account at the property. Found this out after 3-4 phone calls starting with a number I found on the website linked to in one of the posts above.

Turns out they (E-on) can do nowt, not even change the account into my name without a council tax ref number..which I can't get as the property has never (it turns out) been removed from the business rates banding, even tho change of use was granted in July last year. :eek:

SO now I am waiting for someone from Salford Council to ring me back re an inspection of the building to see if it is actually now not a Drs surgery. Could take a few weeks.

Meanwhile, I'll be paying business rates electricity bills to E-on...!

Oh well, it's all a learning curve, ain't it??

Again, many thanks guys..you are the best! :D :D

In the meantime you could concetrate your electricity useage to the supply in the flat - I guess that is on a domestic tariff?

Turns out that the supply to the Drs surgery is WELL dodgy...found all sorts of things that would make yer hair curl...for instance, old 60's style wiring with old bakelite adapters (well, thats what they look like anyway..) with wall lamps plugged into them. The whole place is a bit of a minefield not to mention a fire hazard downstairs. Wonder what the HSE regulations for Drs Surgery's are?? or if there even are any regs?? :eek:

The flat however looks like its recently (in living memory anyway! :LOL: ) been rewired. There are some fairly new electric storage heaters in the rooms, and the kitchen has brand new sockets etc. The very small CU is very new too, although no MCB's, just pull out type fuses..didn't think you could get that tyrpe anymore.

The downstairs has now been switched off totally and the fuses pulled for safety sake. Any power we need we are using extension leads everywhere.

The meters look very new too...don't the electric companies that install these do a test of any kind before wiring in? If so, I am totally stunned that it didn't show up any dodgy stuff...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back