Moving a meter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a 1st floor flat that was developed by dividing a terrace house some time ago. When the development took place, the developer left the original meter where it was & simply added two more.

So basically my electricity meter is in the flat downstairs. This has caused me a lot of problems, mostly in getting meter readings as the flat downstairs is rented out & often unoccupied.

I recently changed electricity suppliers & the fact that I was not able to access my meter has caused me even more problems.
So much so that I now want to move my meter into my own property.

Any advice about the steps I need to take, who I should be contacting, the practicalities of the job & how much it would cost would be appreciated.

Also any advice and 'do's or dont's' from anyone who has moved an existing would be good.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You have to contact your DNO (Distribution Network Operator, used to be called REC - Regional Electricity Company). This is not the same as the people you buy your electricity from.

There is a site you can go to to find out your DNO, if you don't know it, but I can't remember what it is - somebody might post it here, or if you do a search of the forum for DNO and REC you'll find it somewhere.

Anyway - they are the only people who can do this, and it costs whatever they decide to charge - you can't DIY and you can't get competing quotes.

Would moving both meters to the outside be viable?

I have managed to get in touch with my DNO, Northern Electric.
As stated above they are the only ones who can carry out this work.
They say that they have fixed rates for the movement of any meter, although from what I can make out they seem to be treating my request like a new installation. They are talking about the costs of digging up the pavement!

I was hoping that the meter could have been moved into the entrance hall of my property. I did not foresee the need for any external work.

I would prefer to have my meter in my property so that it is accessible - but from my initial findings it looks like it could be very costly to get it moved.

it will be expensive...

They will run a new cable to the street and then terminate this in your property with a new meter. They may then connect up your installation, depending on where your Consumer unit is..

An alternative, may be adding a meter box directly behind where they are located at the moment.

Sponsored Links
Kil

Have you explained that due to the redevelopment the meters are in a position inconvenient not just for you, but for them too, AND they are located in an entirely separate property? Is your CU or submain also there?

A engineer has now been out to access the job & come back with a price of £1100 to move two of the meters in to their individual properties.
The bloke in the other property has decided that this is too expensive & is just going to leave it as it is.
I am going to try & get a quote for just moving my meter as I am keen to get mine sorted out & on my property.

I have also just discovered that I have been working under the wrong supply number for my electricity & will be getting a year's worth of payments returned to from British Gas!

Kilgore said:
The bloke in the other property has decided that this is too expensive & is just going to leave it as it is.
Well he would, if both the meters are in his property - he doesn't have a problem.

ban-all-sheds said:
Kilgore said:
Well he would, if both the meters are in his property - he doesn't have a problem.

It's actually the other bloke (barber shop) who has decided that the costs are too high. The lad in the ground floor flat wants us to sort it out as he now has a pay-key meter so no longer gets his meter read. He still has to let the meter reading bloke in to read the other two meters.

Confused?
I am!

Kilgore said:
The lad in the ground floor flat wants us to sort it out as he now has a pay-key meter so no longer gets his meter read. He still has to let the meter reading bloke in to read the other two meters.
Well, whether or not he does have to, as it's not his consumption they need to record, IHNI, but if he's in when they call it's not much of a hardship, and if he's not then so what?

True - but mostly it means I have the hassle of going to get meter readings myself.
Looking at the likely costs involved it may be a hassle I learn to live with!

Just a small point but the supplier has a statutory duty to take a meter reading once a year, It may be worth going back to them as a bargining tool regarding access to the other property etc. It could also make things very tricky if you ever come to sell your place

Thermo said:
It could also make things very tricky if you ever come to sell your place

I was thinking that myself - :rolleyes:

Surprise surprise it was not sonething the previous owner mentioned when I was buying the flat!

Nor something potential purchasers think to ask. You didn't, and when you sell your prospective buyers won't either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back