Two PD porches next to each other...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a house with a 'main' front door with an old regulations porch ( 1.5m x 1m ) Next to this front door I have a sliding door to the lounge.

Under PD rules I can erect a porch not exceeding 3m2 in floor area "outside any external door" of the dwelling.

So can I errect TWO porches, one in front of each door? Provided each porch meets the requirements then everything is OK?

We wanted a small 1.5 x 5m conservatory/sunroom at the front of the house, but were refused planning permission. So two porches next to each other would give a 1.2m x 5 m porch nder PD rules.?

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
The rules do seem to say a porch can be added to any external door so I guess you're right. I'd phone your local Planning Department for clarity, the last thing you want is to have to rip one down. That's not a cop out but what I would do in the first instance if a client approached me with a similar query.

I am very unsure of contacting the planning department: Surely their advise will definately be that this is not valid?

I built a PD room at the bottom of the garden, within the rules in November last year, and the council sent a letter in which they told me to stop the building as it was unlawful. They said they had visited the site after complaints. I got a friend who is a solicitor to write to them and ask them to specify in what way it was unlawful, and they wrote back saying it did not require planning permission.

So now I simply dont trust anything they say.

Sponsored Links
Hiya,

I was hoping for someone who had actually done something like it before.

With my room, the council claimed in their letter that it was built on the boundary without planning permission. I had built it under 2.5 meters ( 2.4 to be exact ) and I had been assured by my friend that this made it legal, as he had obtained permission under pd for a similar building as a tool room in TowerHamlets, and he said they had no choice but to accept it.

With all the people out there, I can not believe I would be the first to think of this or try it?

I can now give advice on small buildings on the border of your property ( as in where you can and where you can not build it ) as I have had some experiance with this in real life. Surely there must be someone who has had a fight with their local planning office about this before?

Which of the following do you not understand?

Porches
Planning Permission

The planning rules for porches are applicable to any external door to the dwellinghouse.

Adding a porch to any external door of your house is considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission, provided:

1. the ground floor area (measured externally) would not exceed three square metres.
2. no part would be more than three metres above ground level (height needs to be measured in the same way as for a house extension).
3. no part of the porch would be within two metres of any boundary of the dwellinghouse and the highway.

Hiya,

I was hoping for someone who had actually done something like it before.

With my room, the council claimed in their letter that it was built on the boundary without planning permission. I had built it under 2.5 meters ( 2.4 to be exact ) and I had been assured by my friend that this made it legal, as he had obtained permission under pd for a similar building as a tool room in TowerHamlets, and he said they had no choice but to accept it.

With all the people out there, I can not believe I would be the first to think of this or try it?

I can now give advice on small buildings on the border of your property ( as in where you can and where you can not build it ) as I have had some experiance with this in real life. Surely there must be someone who has had a fight with their local planning office about this before?

Councils will often write to homeowners and state that they (the homeowners) do not have permission for this or that, it is a guilty until proven innocent state of affairs whereby you have to prove your compliance rather than they have to prove theirs.

I am sure the Forum will breath a huge sigh of relief now that there is an expert in PD rights for outbuildings present.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back