Two Phase and Neutral Ring Final

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Called by Landlord, "Power's partly off on the first floor."

Get there, landlord admits to a bit of DIY. Stud wall in kitchen missing, this was poking up into a wet piece of carpet laid over the boards:

MadLandlord.jpg

The best bit is that it is a broken ring, with one leg on the red phase and the other on the blue phase, both being "protected" by 60A breakers.

Nice! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Not worried so much about him, it's his tenants, waltzing across the wet carpet each morning with naked feet.

I forgot to say, these cut ends were live.

I was aghast with the LL, told him of the shock risk and the possibility of injury or death. His reply?

"Oh, that's no problem. When I got a shock upstairs, the MCB tripped. That'll save their lives, don't worry."

There was no RCD protection for any circuits.

Sponsored Links
No, but from memory, I don't think you're a million miles off!!

I was aghast with the LL, told him of the shock risk and the possibility of injury or death. His reply?

"Oh, that's no problem. When I got a shock upstairs, the MCB tripped. That'll save their lives, don't worry."

You might remind him of his legal obligations not to kill off his tenants and the very dim view The Law takes of landlords who do that. ;)

I thought that, but he admitted to breaking the ring in several places, then moving breakers around the DB, so I think it started life as a ring final on the red phase with a 32A breaker.

(Sounds like a Cluedo deduction!)

You might remind him of his legal obligations not to kill off his tenants and the very dim view The Law takes of landlords who do that. ;)

Not to mention the fact that he'll find it rather difficult to collect the rent if he does...... :eek:

I'd type up a report and send it to whoever governs these landlords.. surely there has to be some form of local authority control over the state of a rented property?

at the very least shop him to the LABC for doing electrical work without notification..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back