Two pitched roof garages close together, guttering options please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to rebuild my dad's garage a little wider than it is at present, and as close to the boundary as possible. The neighbour built theirs right up to the boundary, and their tiles and gutter overhang. I've discussed this with them, and a reasonable compromise seems to be to build dad's new garage wall about 6" from theirs, cut back their overhang, and put a common gutter between the roofs.

I'm not willing to enter into discussions on the legality of what they did, and etc. We're not going to try to get them to move their wall!
I merely want to discuss the perils and pitfalls of our compromise in terms of construction detail and maintenance access for a 10m length of straight guttering which will discharge into a water butt and onto open ground or a soakaway.

Clearly there will be a 6" void between the two buildings, and I assume we'll have to seal that void at each end.
One idea for the gutter is to build brick ties across the void at regular intervals, so that the 10m straight length of guttering could be slid in and out for cleaning and maintenance/replacement as necessary. It seems that the joining pieces between the 4m or 5m plastic guttering lengths would be problematic in the sliding process, so my questions are:

1. Can (say 6") guttering be obtained in 10m lengths?
2. Is there a low profile or solvent weld type of guttering joint that would serve this purpose?
3. Perhaps a custom or rivitted aluminium gutter? But would 10m be too flimsy when removing.

Moving on to a second, but related problem. If I were to build right up to neighbour's garage wall (not 6" away), and make my wall higher than his, how best would I construct the (lead lined?) valley between my vertical wall and his chopped-off roof tiles, so as to give a long lasting seal?
There is a large sycamore tree almost overhanging his garage, so having a wide valley to allow leaf sweeping would be advantageous.

MM

Sponsored Links
You could build sharing the wall and have a stepped lead valley of some description.

we have had fabricated alloy box gutter at 11 mtr. biggest issue might be transport

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back