two planning permission questions

I

imamartian

Hi

Can i ask two similar questions?

Firstly if i have a bay window, which is supported on brackets, do i need planning permission to build a wall to support it, and then extend my lounge into it?

And secondly, i have a sectional concrete garage, do i need PP if i want to take it down and build a brick one in it's place? (and what if i what to make it a bit bigger?)

Many thanks for your time guys..
D

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply,
is it really that confusing?

I will ask my local planning department i guess, but hoped to get the green light from you guys.... surely the council dont spend all day on google earth, looking for extensions? :eek:

imamartian said:
surely the council dont spend all day on google earth, looking for extensions? :eek:

I found one on a friends place i havent seen in years.

but the point is suppose some one on hear says yes / go ahead, council says no, what are you going to say?

..............a bloke i don't know said on a forum it was ok?

council reply, no PP pull it down (it has been done before)

asking costs nothing, i was once "picking up a new toy"

some one else did the same and got an earhole bashing

..........but, but, but that bloke did it............

ah, but that bloke asked FIRST, you didn't

Sponsored Links
imamartian said:
thanks for the reply,
is it really that confusing?

I will ask my local planning department i guess, but hoped to get the green light from you guys.... surely the council dont spend all day on google earth, looking for extensions? :eek:

every council and even individual officers will interpret rules differently so its better to be safe than sorry. most of the time a quick phone call will answer the question. Probably a lot more re-assuring than us burkes!

lol, i was being a bit light hearted, and expected a quick answer, but on reflection, you guys are right... all councils are different... and even if i read the councils rules on the internet, i guess i could misinterpret them... and they'd still come round knocking my garage down !

damn rules lol...!

cheers guys, ..... appreciated!
D

it is unlikely you will need planning permission but building control will want to take a look.

they will treat a bay window as a mini extension. full reg's will be required.

you may need pp for the garage, it will depend upon size and proximity to the highway. building control may want to take a look but i'm not sure, as it will not be classed as dwelling, although the electrics may still be regulated under part p.

imamartian said:
Can i ask two similar questions?
Yes.

Firstly if i have a bay window, which is supported on brackets, do i need planning permission to build a wall to support it, and then extend my lounge into it?
No, unless your house is unfeasibly tiny, such that the extra volume exceeds the regulatory allowance.

And secondly, i have a sectional concrete garage, do i need PP if i want to take it down and build a brick one in it's place? (and what if i what to make it a bit bigger?)
Depends on distance from the house and height of structure. As others have said, for this one you need to consult.

You should start by obtaining the 'planning permission' rules document from your local authority.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back