Two red and one Black wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
I have a dimmer switch , from my socket 2 red wired and 1 black wire is coming and in the NEW DIMMER there are L1,L2 and x symbol, what should i do?

Many Thanks. :D

Sponsored Links
wire it the same as the old switch

oh you forgot to take a note of the connections didn't you.

get a professional who knows what they are doing.

Sponsored Links
To give you 'urgent' help, you need to tell us as much as you can.

Firstly, do you know how the old switch was connected? Which wires went in which holes?

Secondly, if the answer to the one above is NO, which WIRES emerge from which CABLES?

Thirdly, is this a 2 way switch? In other words, is there another switch as well controlling the same light?

Fourthly, does the switch require an earth? Is the switch metal or plastic?

There is one switch use as a dimmer, i am changing to new dimmer. From the socket there are only 3 wires - 2 red and 1 black. Thats it!! In the new dimmer there are 3 holes. L1- L2 and x!! [/list]

Are any of these wires within separate cables though?

Or are they 'singles'?

I'm asking this as it may help us to determine where each wire may go?

I take it you don't know where each wire went on the old switch then?

So why not wire the new switch the same way?

Also, are there no earth conductor(s) at the switch?

Do you have a two probe meter that can test voltage and continuity?
If not pure guess work, you should have noted down where the cables were in the original dimmer. It would be impossible to tell you what goes where, with out some decent evidence of the identification of each conductor. Two reds and one black means next to nothing without knowing their purpose!

Because, i try to insert red in L1 but both are not going in one hole, so i insert one red in L1 and one in L2 and black in X hole, but now my two way swirch which is on the back wall for landing not working.

Why would you do a stupid thing like that? Stop trying anything, you do not know what they are or what you are doing!
Call an electrician!

Because, i try to insert red in L1 but both are not going in one hole, so i insert one red in L1 and one in L2 and black in X hole, but now my two way swirch which is on the back wall for landing not working.
isohail, please stop now.

You clearly have no idea what you are doing, no understanding of how things work, and doing electrical work without a full and genuine understanding, and just connecting wires at random hoping that you get the right combination, is incredibly foolish. Could even be fatal.

Please get an electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back