Two rooms into one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just read what you posted. Not quite as easy as that, as I wanted to operate both lights (one in the kitchen and one in the dining room) separately, via a two gang two way switch in the circuitry. I wanted a two way switch at either end of the room to operate downlighters over the kitchen area, and a switch to operate a normal pendant light fitting over the dining table. If I'd connected both redundant 3 core and earth cables I'd have had both lights coming on together.

I tried figuring the system out using the diagrams supplied on this site ("wiring two way switches") but there wasn't enough info. The circuitry was 70's and not as it appeared on the diagrams (no junction boxes).

So I traced all the wiring through and re-drew the circuit. It became obvious that essentially the two circuits were identical. But the only fly in the oinkment was this two gang two way switch that I wanted.

However, I was able to utilise the existing wiring (inside the switches) to install a two gang two way switch at the entrance to the dining room (might be worth me re-drawing the new circuit for ease and posting it on this site).

Think I did pretty well considering. But I have been an electronics technician in a past life so it wasn't exactly rocket science.

Reckon I should post a diagram? Might make it a lot easier and others might not have to go through the rigmarole that I did.

Sponsored Links
Please ignore. Posted seprately in error. Please see "Knocking two rooms into one" in this forum.
Andy

Use the Alert Moderators link to ask them to remove it - no point in having spurious topics cluttering the place up...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back