Two Sockets stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night I turned one of my sockets on and then all of a sudden it stopped working, nothings tripped, and then I find out another one isn’t working, so I turn off the power and search behind the 2 sockets to try and find an obvious issue, but all looks good everything secure, but it’s only the 2 sockets? Anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
In my homes we have from time to time reused old supplies or fitted supplies for a special job. So old immersion supply re-used, or special supply with UPS back-up. Or even a supply from the lights where some one in the past has used up lighters or the like.

I would be looking for a fused connection unit (FCU) hidden some where.

What was plugged in, that you turned on?

Unfortunately electricity is invisible. Do you have any test kit at all? A multimeter perhaps?

Are these sockets in any particular room?
Okay so I’ve noticed more are not working now 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs, I do not own a multimeter

Sponsored Links
Okay so I’ve noticed more are not working now 2 upstairs and 2 downstairs, I do not own a multimeter
What did you plug in.
Can you post a pic of your consumer unit. All of the switches should be up. Some RCDs go to half mast when they trip.

Further to what I have said, with the UK ring final system one is only allowed one spurred socket without fusing from the ring final, so the common way to add more is using a fused connection unit (FCU) 1696240075462.png likely one some where has blown a fuse, that's what I would be looking for.

What did you plug in.
Can you post a pic of your consumer unit. All of the switches should be up. Some RCDs go to half mast when they trip.
IMG_6216.jpeg

I plugged in my PC nothing out the ordinary and not all of a sudden 4 sockets don’t work

Reactions: CBW
Further to what I have said, with the UK ring final system one is only allowed one spurred socket without fusing from the ring final, so the common way to add more is using a fused connection unit (FCU) View attachment 315709 likely one some where has blown a fuse, that's what I would be looking for.
There is one of them next to one of the bad sockets, I replaced the fuse still no joy

An no electrical work since which may have re-used the MCB?

After my mothers house was rewired some of the old wiring was reconnected using a fuse as shown IMGP7387c.jpg and the supply from that actually powered sockets in the next room as well as the room with the fuse. In the kitchen, not a clue why my dad had a FCU feeding another FCU, and in last house the old immersion heater feed was reused, so one socket in kitchen where old switch was, one back to back of that socket in the living room, and one in the room which had originally had the water tank in.

So the fuse protecting the failed sockets may not be where one expects to find it. Since I have a non contact voltage tester that's what I use, Testing for live.jpg seen here showing a supply to multi socket, I am sure one can use a bulb and two wires, but safer to use some thing designed for the job, to swap a fuse you need to double test, put the old fuse in some thing to see if it still works, and well as fitting a replacement.

But without tools one must except testing is limited, not saying you can't test, plugging in a desk lamp is a form of testing, but without the tools testing is harder, how did you know the fuse you fitted was a good fuse for example.

And it is switched on? Are the wires behind there secure?

I fear that you may need an electrician...
It hasn’t got a switch, and yes the cables are secure, yes it looks like I’m going to need someone to come out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back