Two Sockets stopped working

So most of us might not have a 32A radial circuit for sockets but quite a few might actually have - no problem, it is listed as a standard circuit.
I am more interested in the breaker in the off position - could that be the circuit in question?
Example - could it be a repurposed old shower etc circuit that is now a dedicated small ring/radial or even a lollipop (a.k. A lasso) circuit?

Sponsored Links
When I joined this forum, there must have been both a JohnW (my usual first choice) and JohnW1 (my usual second choice) already here, so I ended up as JohnW2 !!

Those other two must have subsequently 'gone', since the only JohnW.... here now seems to be Johnw100 - who, although he's been a member for over 10 years, has only ever posted 19 messages (none in the Electrics forum) ;)

Kind Regards, John

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
So most of us might not have a 32A radial circuit for sockets but quite a few might actually have - no problem, it is listed as a standard circuit.
As I hope you understood, I was trying to make an 'educational' point for anyone who read this thread.

Just as one often sees the (very incorrect) suggestion that two cables connected to most sockets on a circuit indicate that the circuit is a ring final, I was trying to make sure that people reading the statement I was commenting on were not thereby led to believe that a 32A MCB also indicates that the circuit is a ring final.

So, for anyone who doesn't know .... a circuit in which there are two cables connected to most sockets OR a sockets circuit protected by a 32A MCB (or 30A fuse) may be either a ring final or radial final circuit.

Kind Regards, John

I feel sure that I am not the only person who has 32A radial sockets circuits in their house :)

Kind Regards, John
Indeed not, Early last year during a CU change I altered a 16A radial to a 32A radial to take advantage of the 'standard' set of MCBs that came with it. Dead easy as it is just a DSSO on the side of the cupboard the CU is in, total length of cable ~600mm

Sponsored Links
When I joined this forum, there must have been both a JohnW (my usual first choice) and JohnW1 (my usual second choice) already here, so I ended up as JohnW2 !!

Kind Regards, John
Indeed I clearly remember the confusion I had with the names

Indeed not, Early last year during a CU change I altered a 16A radial to a 32A radial to take advantage of the 'standard' set of MCBs that came with it. Dead easy as it is just a DSSO on the side of the cupboard the CU is in, total length of cable ~600mm
Well, that wasn'tr much of a 'radial circuit' :) ... did you use 2.5mm² cable, I wonder?

As I'm sure you understood, I was actually talking about 4mm² multi-socket 32A radials!

Kind Regards, John

As I hope you understood, I was trying to make an 'educational' point for anyone who read this thread.

Just as one often sees the (very incorrect) suggestion that two cables connected to most sockets on a circuit indicate that the circuit is a ring final, I was trying to make sure that people reading the statement I was commenting on were not thereby led to believe that a 32A MCB also indicates that the circuit is a ring final.

So, for anyone who doesn't know .... a circuit in which there are two cables connected to most sockets OR a sockets circuit protected by a 32A MCB (or 30A fuse) may be either a ring final or radial final circuit.

Kind Regards, John
Yes totallyJohn. I was just trying to reenforce your words against what some had said

Well, that wasn'tr much of a 'radial circuit' :) ... did you use 2.5mm² cable, I wonder?

As I'm sure you understood, I was actually talking about 4mm² multi-socket 32A radials!

Kind Regards, John
No not much of a radial at all but it had been on it's own 15A fuse since forever and the tenant was in the habit of pulling fuses when he went on his regular 'long weekends away' and only left that socket powered for his modem/ring doorbell.
It was 2.5mm² but that would not comply, despite it being acceptable when added to a ring final, so changed it to 6mm² (what I had with me).

Last edited:
Yep 4.0 would likely suit a 32A radial but a 6.0 t & e would too providing it fits okay in the particular sockets used. Indeed you could single spur from each with 2.5 t & e just like on a ring final too

No not much of a radial at all but it had been on it's own 15A fuse since forever and the tenant was in the habit of pulling fuses when he went on his regular 'long weekends away' and only left that socket powered for his modem/ring doorbell. .... It was 2.5mm² but that would not comply, despite it being acceptable when added to a ring final, so changed it to 6mm² (what I had with me).
Why do you think 2.5mm² cable protected by a 15A fuse would "not comply"?

Kind Regards, John

Update: the sparky never turned up, but miraculously the sockets are working again, never touched anything! I don’t know wether to be happy or concerned

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Update: the sparky never turned up, but miraculously the sockets are working again, never touched anything! I don’t know wether to be happy or concerned
If you're certain that they were once not working, then I'd be more inclined to suggest that you should be 'concerned' than 'happy'.

Kind Reegards,John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back