Two Spots Working One Not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just moved into a new house and in our fireplace we have three halogen spotlights in three recesses. When you turn the light on all three lights come on then after a second one of the lights go out and stays out. When you try again five minutes later the same thing happens. Anyone have any ideas why this happens and how I might fix it. (The bulb has been replaced so not that. I have also pulled out the wiring as far as I can see and it leads into a transformer of sorts - haven\\\'t done anything else as I don\\\'t understand how spotlights work) Thanks!

Sponsored Links
probablly a faulty transformer, just buy a lighting transfromer of appropriate rating from an electrical supplier and replace it.

do check all the connections first!!! it sounds like it could be a hot/cold connection doin' its stuff!

My first suspect would be a burnt lampholder

You can buy a new one here

If it is not this then an overloaded transformer would be favorite, but try the lampholder and a different new lamp as the faulty lampholder may have already burned one of the pins on the new lamp.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the speedy replies. Will try out your suggestions and see what happens.

Nicolay

Could it be an under rated transformer?? - i.e. the thermal cutout operating and then resetting

nozspark said:
Could it be an under rated transformer?? - i.e. the thermal cutout operating and then resetting

RF Lighting said:
My first suspect would be a burnt lampholder

You can buy a new one here

If it is not this then an overloaded transformer would be favorite, but try the lampholder and a different new lamp as the faulty lampholder may have already burned one of the pins on the new lamp.

given that there are 3 spots and only one has failed i think an overloaded transformer is pretty unlikely (are there really transformers that aren't rated to handle one bulb?!)

a cheap sh1tty transformer that has died despite being of adequate rating is still my bet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back