Two switches operating independently

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a pump on our hot water system to deliver hot water immediately with no delay (long pipe runs). Currently it works off the timer when the water is heating. While altering the kitchen I want to wire it so that there is a switch (plus neon) in the kitchen to put it on while washing up, and also so that it switches on when the bathroom light is switched on. Is there a way of doing this so that each switch operates independently as an on/off, not as a 2 way switch?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you want to do away with the hot water being circulated even when not needed anywhere - have you thought about doing away with it altogether, and just putting up with a bit of a delay?

Anyway - you can do what you want, but the light switch will need to operate a contactor for the pump (i.e. the contactor coil energised when you turn the bathroom light on) - if you just connect the two switches in parallel then the bathroom light will come on when you turn the pump on in the kitchen.

Thanks. It is a pretty useful system as it saves water and the wait, but only when you want hot water, otherwise it simply circulates it round the system gradually cooling it down.

I thought there would be some sort of relay etc that could be used - I'll leave that to the electrician - just want to make sure it can be done before I run cables, mounting boxes etc.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back