Two way external infra-red light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my kitchen refitted and my builder has disconnected the external infra-red patio light switch. It is a double switch. One switch is to switch the light on and off via the infra-red sensor and the other switch is to switch the light on and off permenantly. The switch has three terminals and the lamp has red, blue, yellow and green wires. I cant see how to rewire the switch. Can anyone advise please? :(

Sponsored Links
images

I think a bit more information is required:
Where does the power cable to the light connect?
Which wire goes where in the light fitting?
There must be more than 3 terminals due to it being 2gang?
Any chance of a couple of pictures?

OK, Thanks, The power cable comes from a plug that is plugged into a power socket. I've tested this and it is live.
I have not disconnected the light fitting so I do not know which wires go where in the light fitting, but it is a simple light fitting with an integral infra-red sensor, there are 4 wires coming from it, red, Yellow, blue and green.

There are 3 terminals on each of the two gangs on the switch. and the live connects, with a link, to one of the terminals on each gang of the switch, leaving two remaining termials on each gang of the switch. I assume that the neutral connects to the blue wire from the light fitting and the Green wire from the light fitting connects to the earth on the switch , but where do the red and yellow wires go? I've tried various combinations, but can't work it out.
I have some very clear pictures and have sent them to DIYNot.com asking them to upload them. I look forward to hearing back from you. Many Thanks Mike147

Sponsored Links
Mike147 said:
I have some very clear pictures and have sent them to DIYNot.com asking them to upload them. I look forward to hearing back from you. Many Thanks Mike147

and while we are waiting, i suggest you read this as it will probably be quicker (sorry admin)

Scrub that!!

Start again. This is a likely scenario, but don't count on it!!

The Live feed into the switch box links both commons.

The Green (if indeed an earth) goes to the box earth terminal, along with the feed cable cpc.

The neutral in goes to the blue.

The red is the live feed to the PIR. that goes to L1 of the l/h switch. This is the on/off switch which will cut power (well live) to the PIR.

The yellow is the manual override. This goes to L1 of the r/h switch which becomes your manual on override switch. When the switch is closed, the live to the lamp (PIR output) is on all the time.

Take care, use a MM to check connections if you are unsure.

Et, finalement, whatever the cores do, label them appropriately: ie if yellow is switched live, sleeve it red, and if blue is neutral, sleeve it black, etc....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back