Two way lighting back to One way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am after some advice !!!!
I have a two way dimmer switch controling the main light on the ceiling and the wall lights.At he other end of the room there was a two way switch controlling the same lights. I have taken this switch out leaving just the dimmer but now I have four cables left, two gray with red inner that went to one switch and one red and red and green twin that went to the other.All are live except the green when the dimmer is opperated.Which one's go to the wall lights and which one to the main light ? Any info would be most grateful.

Many Thanks John

Sponsored Links
Can you tell me what wires went to which termianls on the switches at both ends, or better post a picture.

Its impossible to tell from what you have just said.

I have taken this switch out
What do you intend replacing it with?

HINT: Plastering over the hole and painting papering etc may not be possible - you might have to leave a blanking plate there.

See these:
Which one's go to the wall lights and which one to the main light ?
Possibly none of them. Do any of the lights now work?

You should spend some time studying the info here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:two-way-lighting

Hi Again ...... At the back of the dimmer switch there is the two Grey and Red which go into L1 and L2 on one dimmer Then the twin Red and Green goto L2 and earth and a Red goes to L1.Then there is alink between an arrow on each dimmer and a Red goes back up the wall from the link !!!
The switch I took out had a red in a common and reds in 1 way and 2 way!! Also I took the wiring out to the lights themselves.When I find which are the lives from the dimmer would it be best connecting them to the new cable and picking a neutral and earth off another light circuit??

Sponsored Links
NEVER borrow a neutral from another CIRCUIT.

It will cause RCDs to trip and electricians who come to fix the problem will hate you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back