two way switch problems?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Got a bit of a problem!

My living room light can be switched on with a single light switch in the room or a double switch in the hall.

My downstairs hall light can be switched on with a single switch or the same double switch as the living room.

All of a sudden, with no tripping out, I have no lights in my living room or hall.

I have changed all 3 gu10 downlight bulbs in the hall and changed the double light switch but still no lights or tripping when I switch on.

HELP! Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
sounds like a broken, loose or burnt wire in the light fitting..

turn the power off..
remove it and see..
if you can't see any visible signs, replace the fitting with a standard ceiling rose and lamp and see if that works, if it does then your fitting is up the duff..

I have no lights in my living room OR hallway.

Would it be that BOTH light connections, hall & living room could have burnt or loose wires at the same time ( just my luck to have ! ) ?
I'll have a look in both and give it a try.

Also while I'm on, the double switch that I replaced was a metal switch with plastic back box and was earthed, but the new switch is a plastic one and still with plastic back box, so haven't connected the earth ( but have made safe in a connector block)

If the problem occured after you fiddled with the switch.

Then the problem is more likely the connections in the switch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for everyone's help here.

The problem was there BEFORE I changed the light switch.
I suddenly lost my lights in the living room and hall way, so firstly changed all the bulbs and that didn't solve the problem.

So then changed the double switch that controls both living room and hallway and still no joy!

Lights are a radial circuit.

Ie, one room onto the next and so on.

A fault in the connections above one light or switch often affects the lights in that room and the rooms after it.

Sometimes the fault is in a room before the rooms that are off , even though that room light works ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back