two way to one way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had 2 switches to one big room and have divided the room into two. I want to make my 2way switches into 2 one way switches- one for each room. the wiring in each switch is identical, and when they are both off, only the yellow is live on one and on the other its the blue and red. What do I need to do?

Sponsored Links
so at both switches you just have a red blue and yellow?

which terminals do each of them go to?
what does the wiring at the light fitting look like?

It's red at the top, yellow on left and blue to right identical on both. Haven't looked at the light fitting. Both switches operate 3 light fittings altogether - I want 2 in one room and 1 in the other.

im guessing the three and earth cable is split somewhere (hopefully in a light fitting)

the yellow and blue wires go straight through

the red is cut one side going to the premanent live and one going to the live of the light.

i need to know what the wiring is like at the lights before i can advise further

Sponsored Links
Ok, thanks I can't look now, its getting dark! are you online tomorrow (Saturday)? There are green earth wires in the switches too.

In the meantime, thanks v much for your feedback so far, much appreciated.

Usually with this method, the red from each switch would be in a term block, and the two yellows in the SWITCHED side of the light, and the two blues in the LIVE side of the light.

Very rarely see it done the 'conduit' method with T+E down this way Plug. Your way uses two term blocks, our way uses one. More space for us :)

I am suspecting that easilyled has something like this.
TM1.jpg

then you didn't read his post

he clearly stated that there were only 3 wires in each lightswitch

plugwash said:
then you didn't read his post

he clearly stated that there were only 3 wires in each lightswitch
I did read his post, I am suspecting that he has ommited to mention the other pair in one of the switches. I could be wrong, hence the word "Suspect"

I'm thinking if the wiring at each switch is identical it means the 'live' will enter one switch at 'com' and the 'switched live' will leave the other switch from 'com'.
This leaves just two wires linking the switches L1 to L1 and L2 to L2.
This needs to be understood and confirmed, along with which wires link the switches before making any changes.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

he has said the red wires go to com

what is strange is that the yellow was live at one switch and the blue at the other (i assume switches weren't switched between theese tests)

im guessing the 3 and earth goes into a 4 terminal junction box somewhere with the switch cable to the light running from there

Thanks to you all for your input so far, I can confirm that there are no other wires in the switches, just the ones I mentioned. Also that for my tests the switches weren't switched between tests.

So, there are three light fittings, the first which is closest to the switch lets call it L1 has 2 red wires and 2 black as you would expect (I think), the next closest lets callit L2 has the same connections, L3 which looks to be a spur from L2 has only 1 red and black.

If you followed that... I want 1 of the switches to operate L1 only and the other to operate L2 and L3 together, as there is now a dividing stud wall between L1 and L2&3.

Does that make any sense??

1) It's what's at, and between, the switches that is of more interest right now than the lights themselves.

2) Please do a drawing and post it.

3) Please, immediately and forever stop referring to your lights as Ln. L1, L2 and L3 are used to identify terminals on light switches, and if you're looking for instructions on how to wire things up we're all going to get abysmally confused....

ok, its obvious I don't know enough about what's happening between the switches and the light fittings themselves. Apologies for my ignorance of the terminology conventions.

Also, as a believer of the notion that if it aint broke dont fix it, I am coming to the conclusion that I have just come across an unusual setup and should leave well alone (getting someone in in person to take a look)

Judging by all your comments, its not as simple as I thought! A picture isn't practical for me as I don't know the terms (as you gathered) and I don't know what is between the parts under the plastering/ceiling. I have seen no evidence of any terminal blocks in any of the positions I have access to. I have given you as much info as I can. Should I just leave it?

Having another guess, the following arrangement would fit all of easilyleds description. The swapping of blue and yellow at the JB would allow all the lights to be off when both switches are UP.
tm2.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back