two way to one way

Sponsored Links
The soln does indeed hinge on how it has been wired.

Lectrician - I have seen a pro-installed two way with same end result - one 3 core at each switch position, with a JB in the middle terminating the live & switchwire T & E cable, one to each red, with Y & B connecting through.

The crucial question is - Do the 3 core switch wires run with the rest of the lighting wiring or seperately?

If they run together, it should be fairly easy to rearrange the function of the wiring.

My guess is that there is a feed(s) coming into the room, terminating in a JB with a T & E (live & switch wire), and another T & E (switch + neutral)going out to the roses.

The T & E switch & live are terminated in another JB with the two 3 cores, going to the switches.

To change the wiring to suit the new layout:

The reds of these 3 cores should connect to the permanent live of the system. This gives a live feed at each switch position.

The roses can stay connected as they are with respect to neutral & earth, but the live feeds of each need to be reconfigured:

Connect the (say) yellow of one 3 core switchwire to the respective red feeding the rose(s) you want to switch by that switch. Etc.....

Does this make sense? No? OK.............I didn't think it could be that easy..

I think I've finally got it. This circuit would show all of the characteristics as described.
TM3.jpg

Hi to you all, and thanks. I think the 2nd pic shows the position I described. Basically I need to look for the JB (I suspect under the bathroom floor - urgh!). I don't suppose there's a way of intercepting the config somewhere else, perhaps with another JB? And should this be before the existing one, or after it (wherever it may be)?

Sponsored Links
whichever way you look at this wiring, it is still the old method.
'live' and'switched live' are not fed to the same switch.
To make these switches operate in a 'one way mode' each switch would need its own twin + earth switch cable fed from a different ceiling rose.
These would replace the red 'live' to switch 'A' and the red 'switched live to switch 'B'.
Problem here is, can this be achieved without upsetting existing decoration.
Also the yellow and blue wires linking the two switches would no longer be needed. Now depending on where these two redundant wires run, it may be possible to cut them mid way and use each half as part of the switch cable as these are already in position.
It would mean fitting 'red' sleeves, changing the connections at the switch, fitting junction boxes to extend the switch cable back to the ceiling roses and removal of the existing 'live' and 'switched live'
Does this make any sense? or am I repeating what has already been said.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Think between us we've got the gist of it. Hopefully! You can use existing wiring as long as: it all follows the same route, and that you can access all connections.

If you can, then the wiring can be "re-assigned" with the use of rearranging a few conections, and as Mandate says, a jb and some sleeving and rearranging the switch connections.

Incidentally, the NIC recommend any disused or unused conductors in a cable be connected to earth for safety.....

securespark said:
Incidentally, the NIC recommend any disused or unused conductors in a cable be connected to earth for safety.....
Presumably sleeved in G/Y?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back