Type. 1 subbase incorrect?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had someone come in to level and whack a 100mm type 1 sub base for a patio. I’m some areas I saw them trying to wack 100mm in one go. Will this be weak as not whacked in layers? How can I check the integrity of it? I can kick it up using light force. Surely it should be solid I’d done properly ?
Also there are areas of larger type 1 loose on the surface?
Should I rake this back to 50mm and wack again?
It comes up easy no effort with a rake. Surely should be solid??

Sponsored Links
you won’t be able to whack type 1 and get it solid. you’ll always be able to kick it up as the stones are pretty big.
if you wanted it solid you should have used or could still use a few inches of duff whacked on top.

you won’t be able to whack type 1 and get it solid. you’ll always be able to kick it up as the stones are pretty big.
if you wanted it solid you should have used or could still use a few inches of duff whacked on top.

Ok, thanks for that. Landscaping (apart from fencing is one thing I’ve never done. Yeah, so it is exactly as you describe. I thought maybe they hadn’t done it properly, although I did think it needed to be done in 50mm layers.
I could come up another inch and still be at my desired height. I’d feel it’s a better job of solid.

What’s Duff? Never heard of it?

crushed very small. dust
tbh what you have sounds more than adequate for a patio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
crushed very small. dust
tbh what you have sounds more than adequate for a patio.

That’s what they said, that id over done it, but I had to fill it anyway. Rather over do it than it move. It’s really crap ground. House is on piles

If anyone isn’t still reading this
There I should no Grano dust or fines anywhere where I live

Could I cap/top my type 1 with sharp sand mixed with cement. That would make a solid top layer?

That would make a solid top layer?
What is this obsession with a solid top layer? That is what the sand/cement is for when laying the slabs.

If you are really worried, get the hose out and wet the MOT. When it dries the surface will harden like bell iron.
Lol.

What is this obsession with a solid top layer? That is what the sand/cement is for when laying the slabs.

If you are really worried, get the hose out and wet the MOT. When it dries the surface will harden like bell iron.
Lol.

If only I could explain half the obsessions that go through my head then I’d have an easier life Once the thoughts are there.... they don’t go away

I need to raise the level slightly as well, and am already getting loose sharp delivered. Thought I could put a dry layer of cement on top as opposed to get sand 1 day and more type 1 another.

..... I’m a plumber, what do I know

What’s the top surface going to be? If it’s slabs but put them on a thicker mix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back