Tyre revalation

S

skyboy

I just thought I would let you know about some budget tyres I have just bought about three months ago.

I have a corsa 1.2sxi and at 18000miles the original continental tyres needed replacing.

now I have had budget tyres before but they were rubbish in fact dangerous some I once bought for a vw caddy van so I was a little sceptical about going budget again.

However I read a favourable revies on the accelera alpha tyre in a review by a magazine/website in australia (The accelera factory is in indonesia) so I plumped for four accelera alphas in 195/16 55 profile.

They have been absolutely brilliant and at just under £60 a corner fitted.

Now if anyone should know tyres it is I with ten years of kart racing under my belt , 30 years of on road spirited driving and offers to drive race cars for pro teams due to my experience on track.

My local tyre depot didn't have them in so I asked for them by name and he was able to source them from his distributor next day.

They work in the dry - in the wet and they also have a very refined quiet ride.

I love them.. :)

Sponsored Links
Always pleased to hear reviews about various tyres - thanks!
18k from Continental isn't so good..... unless you have a large right foot :confused:
It seems that most manufacturers have factories over there....cheerfully called Tyreland :p
John :)

Probably the way he drives given his experience John :D I have been getting around 30,000 miles from budget tyres on my XMs, but then I'm a grandad and drive like one :confused:

Peter

funny enough ive had fitted 2 235/45/18's xl 98w from the same maker.
i paid £180 for the 2 fitted all in.
this is on an smax tdci,this seems to be what a lot of smax forum members are now trying out.on our cars too the recommended tyres are conti's and they come in at around £170 a corner.
when i owned my galaxy i used to have budget's fitted as the dunlops again were very pricey and didnt last long enough.

john,your having a laugh m8,

18k from Continental isn't so good..... unless you have a large right foot

i know someone again with an smax,who is now on his 3rd set of conti's in 27k
too soft a compound on a mpv.

Sponsored Links
Nice to see my reccomendation hasn't gone in vain and interesting to see the Smax users are adopting the same tyre.

I was originally a Pirelli fan many many years ago when the cinturato first hit the shops then the p600 series the p6000 etc etc but then I went onto the continental contisportcontacts and derivatives of ever since because they might never have won tyre tests outright for wet or dry performance but were always up in the top three of any test. Thats what I like to see in a tyre a broad consistency between dry grip and wet grip. I don't like tyres that grip in the dry but slide in the wet and vica verca, I like tyres that give me confidence and have no nasty surprises and that give up grip gradually not suddenly.
Obviously I would like to keep buying continentals but with the cost of fuel savings have to come somehwere and I did not want to make a mistake with the important rubbery bits.
I have been pleased to find out that hasn't been the case.

The icing on the case has also been the quiet ride they give and the cushioned feel on the road. I have driven Mercs and such in the past and the road noise and cabin feel on these tyres rivals any refinement I had in the mercs.

skyboy,
afraid i cant offer any advice or recomendations on how chepo :rolleyes: tyres are on running a car,my knowledge comes from running mpv's for the last 15 years :cry: oh apart from a mid life crisiss for 4 mths last year when i owned a lexus 1s200,lovely car BUT not for me.
with mpv's smoothness really doesnt come into it because most drive like a van anyway but a hell of a lot more comfy ;)

Hey you don't have to make excuses about driving an MPV , I had a citroen Picasso MPV as a hire car once on holiday for two weeks and loved it.Bags of room for me the wife and my three grown up kids and masses of kit and toys , easy to get in and out of and a quality interior. Sadly for them they have always had to squash into a hatchback car or saloon of my choice.
If it's got a steering wheel and an engine I am there.
TBH had just as much fun driving my VW caddy van as anything else and I have had some reasonably quick cars in the past

Back