U bend in soil vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a Martin Grant new build. I'm trying to find the source of a leak in the roof and this is the first time I've been up there. The soil vent pipe is connected to the vent cover on the sloping roof - I can see plenty of daylight, and having fitted Velux windows in the past, I can't imagine that the flashing, or lack of it, is sufficient.

Anyway, that's no the point of this post. The flexible coupling between the vent and the soil pipe has a lot of water in it, I'm not sure there's quite enough so there's actually a water barrier but there's a lot.

What are your thoughts on this please? straighten it out and let the water out?

Sponsored Links
Looks like the rigid pipe needs cutting back a bit so the flex can maintain a continuous fall towards it for drainage

Sponsored Links
Sadly this is the first time I've been up there - and the builder's warranty was only for 2 years.
The vent pipe and vent aren't even connected on our other Taylor Wimpey new build on the same estate. No nasty niffs in the loft though so I've left it.

Muggles has just given good advice why ask if you are going to ignore it. Bob

Muggles has just given good advice why ask if you are going to ignore it. Bob
I'm not. I read his comment as him not being sure. I've just bought a loft ladder and some boards and I'm going to sort it tomorrow. Zip it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back