Ukraine counter offensive

The Ukrainian president is off to the states for a meet up with Biden

Likely to be a deal on the US supplying them with patriot systems ??

The mad mullahs in Iran have struck
A deal with Putin who will be supplying the fruit cakes with weapons tech ??

Israel will not be amused ??

Sponsored Links
Yes but.

Patriot is good at what it does - protecting a fairly small area.
$4,000,000 a round fired.
Ballistic missiles are around $100,000.
Pentagon:
“The Patriots are a defensive, anti-ballistic and anti-aircraft weapon system, with the emphasis on defensive,” Hertling said. “You don’t win wars with defensive capabilities. You win wars with offensive capabilities.”

Quite.

Sponsored Links
Yes but.

Patriot is good at what it does - protecting a fairly small area.
$4,000,000 a round fired.
Ballistic missiles are around $100,000.
Pentagon:
“The Patriots are a defensive, anti-ballistic and anti-aircraft weapon system, with the emphasis on defensive,” Hertling said. “You don’t win wars with defensive capabilities. You win wars with offensive capabilities.”

Quite.

Well the Russian “offensive” has failed to do so

(So far)

Questions about USA funding levels is one of the reasons for Selenskyy's visit. Seems some want it cut.

A comment about Patriot - no so good against drones.

The strikes continue. One theory is a big push from both sides shortly. Then a lag due to the really muddy season.

There are also noises about supplying countries needing to rebuild stocks - pass but mentioned.

I don't know, but when you have 300 drones launched at you that cost less than a small car, sending a $4million missile at each is not a good choice.

Compare destroying a $2million tank with a $40k NLAW, which is good value.

I don't know, but when you have 300 drones launched at you that cost less than a small car, sending a $4million missile at each is not a good choice.

Compare destroying a $2million tank with a $40k NLAW, which is good value.

I don't know much about weapons, but some sort of radar guided cannon should take down a small drone?

I suppose Patriots are designed for much faster weapons, like missiles.

What's the best way to stop drones?
The problem seems to be a drones attack height. Russia for instance have sent them along a river at low level to avoid radar detection. They could do the same over land,. Homing probably needs considering too - pass.

One way of handling low level even used to defend tanks against anti tank stuff is what are effectively very high firing rate machine guns of a suitable calibre. The same idea is used on ships.

Thanks.

It looks like it's very effective against these drones. Although there is a reference on Wikipedia to difficulty sourcing the ammunition. Don't know how serious that problem is.

After the first cold war ended, it was considered obsolete and loads were scrapped or sold off cheap.

I believe old ones are being refurbed or bought back from countries far enough away from Putin. It is based on the very fine leopard tank.

Sponsored Links
Back