Ultion lock failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have one of these locks on my front door and I tried unlocking from outside but was unable to. It spins in both directions with a key but never opens. I managed to get in via the back door and open the affected door from the inside. The lock works fine from the inside.

Can I please have some advice on this. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Take it off quickly.

I suppose you mean the Eurocylinder rather than the actual lock mechanism?

I assume you mean it’s knackered and needs to be replaced @JohnD?

Is it worth replacing with Ultion or do you recommend a different brand? I want to stay clear of the £10 Yale euro cylinders from screwfix.

Sponsored Links
I don't know. Once you take it out and have it in your hand you can see if the cam is undamaged and turning correctly.

I am not a Eurocylinder enthusiast, I can't visualise what has gone wrong. Sometimes wear and damage occur when the multipoint mechanism is binding and excessive force is used on the cylinder.

Try lubricating it, the pins/tumblers may be stuck.
Can I use wd40 or 3 in 1 oil? I have both in the shed?

As a temporary replacement, can I use any other euro cylinder? I have a few spare cheapy ones.

Yes you can use WD. Ultion don't like it, and neither do some people, but it's fine to get you out of a bind. Normally it's graphite or specific lock lubricant.

Spray inside, and the key and give it a good wiggle around.

Preemptively, I would welcome your expert views on decent eurocylinders. Is it worth replacing with ultion or do you recommend a different brand.

Preemptively, I would welcome your expert views on decent eurocylinders. Is it worth replacing with ultion or do you recommend a different brand.
I don't think there is any real difference in performance with the main brands, as long as its a TS007 3-star standard.

If you can't sort it, it may be a worth getting a locksmith to have a look. However bear in mind that you can get a new cylinder made to your key number for about £50 from an Ultion authorised locksmith, or £68 from Ultion direct.

You can put one of your spare cylinders in for the time being, if the keyway is accessible - it does not matter if they are not exact size.

But surely he says the cylinder spins?
I see. If the cylinder spins then the pins must be OK.

My second guess is the clutch within the cam which the inn and outer cylinder engages with. Needs a locksmith though not guesses.

UPDATE - pics of lock are inserted below. I’ve given it a good dose of wd40 but it hasn’t resolved the issue.

IMG_2048.jpeg

Let me describe the issue. If I hold down the black swivel bit in the middle and turn the thumb-turn (clockwise or anticlockwise) it swivels, despite me trying to hold it in place with my fingers. This seems fine and is consistent with my experience as the cylinder operated fine from indoors.

If I hold down the black swivel thing and use the key, the key continues to turn anticlockwise without the black part engaging. If I turn the key clockwise, the black part does engage, despite the pressure.

Hence, the problem occurs when I try to turn the key anticlockwise (unlock) as it doesn’t rotate the black part.

Hope that makes sense and provides enough information for a diagnosis.

I spoke to Ultion and they said that a new eurocylinder will cost £85 and will work with my existing 3 keys. I will need 3 keys.

I am now wondering what I should replace it with. I know this is a robust lock but realistically, I can’t see someone trying to tamper with this at the front of the house and on a busy street. There are far easier access points elsewhere in the house!

I would welcome your advice and recommendations. In the meantime, I am using a spare eurocylinder that I had in the shed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back