Unable to close UPVC window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm unable to close bathroom window.
I'm attaching two pictures,
IMG_20230110_083724 (1).jpg
There is more gap on the lest is more, problem is on the left side.

IMG_20230109_120748 (1).jpg

It looks like frame has come off a bit from the wall and while closing the window the metal thing is not going into the green plastic, that is preventing from the window to close.

Is it possible to fix this without replacing the window?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
The frame needs securing, the hinge may be worn , but can be changed , but a clean and spray with wd40 may free the hinge enough to work .

I had the same problem on a window the same shape. I couldn't figure out what was stopping it aligning up and I hate working with UPVc.

In the end, I put some WD-40 on the hinge runners and then a light amount of grease. The window opens and closes freely now so I think one of the hinges were just sticking.

EDIT -- just read foxhole's comment. Good to have two suggest the same, though!

I used 3 in 1 lubricant already but it didn't help.
If the metal part slots into that green plastic thing I could close it but at the moment it is going outside by few millimeter.

This window is upstairs so would need scaffolding to secure the frame? I don't think I can do it from inside.

Sponsored Links
This window is upstairs so would need scaffolding to secure the frame? I don't think I can do it from inside.
It appears as if you have internal beading on your windows, so it should be possible to de-glaze the window from the inside (plenty of YouTube videos can show you how).
There may be other suggestions about how to secure the frame - I'm just saying that you probably won't need the scaffolding! :)

Looks to be plenty of room to secure from the inside.
Open window fully and drill a hole thru frame as high as room allows then fix with a concrete screw into brickwork.Don’t over tighten which could distort the frame.

Looks to be plenty of room to secure from the inside.
Open window fully and drill a hole thru frame as high as room allows then fix with a concrete screw into brickwork.Don’t over tighten which could distort the frame.
Good point, I had assumed that all the photo showed was the opening toplight, and that the window and frame extended beneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back