Unable to connect outdoor light (issue with Neutral wire?)

Sponsored Links
Might be possible, might not, tester being used is a non contact voltage indicator
Thanks , I have seen the pic. Not the best instrument ,but if the conductors are separated by a few inches it should be possible to test each conductor

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
If both are connected in the same wago ,as in your pic, either one of those wires becoming live would also make the other one live. Do you have another terminal block ,so you can remove one of the wires ( L or N) and put it into another terminal block,and then establish which one is live ?
Yes, it was indeed the case.
I have separated them now. and looks like Blue is switched live wire as shown in the picture.
Nothing is being detected on the brown wire.

You would already know but as a result of this separation of the wire, the right side light has stopped working.

Attachments

• 20231209_203847.jpg
    20231209_203847.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20231209_203838.jpg
    20231209_203838.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 36
I would assume you intend to get rid of that junction box and make all the reconections within the new/ second light fittings base enclosure ?
Your new lights live would connect to the blue and brown ( which are both switched lives) together in a terminal block. And the fittings neutral connects to the other blues which are neutrals.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I would assume you intend to get rid of that junction box and make all the reconections within the new/ second light fittings base enclosure ?
Your new light would connect to the blue and brown ( which are both switched lives) together in a terminal block. And the fittings neutral connects to the other blues which are neutrals.
Great thank you.

So just to confirm my understanding.

The L and N wires which were in the same wago clip are both switched live? So I can use a 3 block connector (instead of 3) and light fitting's brown wire would then connect to these two wires? These block after this connection would have a live wire and neutral wire (switched lives) and light's brown wire.

The neutral wire of the light fitting would connect with two other neutral wires?

3 wires together in a 3 way wago ,the brown live from new fitting ,the brown that is going to the 1st fitting and the blue ( which should have a brown sleeve)being the switched live .( The two marked L&N in your original pic)
All earth conductors sleeved yellow/ green and fitted into an insulated terminal block ,including any earth wire from the fitting.
The new fittings neutral connects to the other blue wires that are currently together in a wago.
And at the switch positions the blue wires should be sleeved brown to show they are live not neutrals.

Thanks , I have seen the pic. Not the best instrument ,but if the conductors are separated by a few inches it should be possible to test each conductor
Depends on the voltage pen. Bought a cheap one and anywhere in the loft it would go berserk. Got a better with a pointed end and that required close proximity even touching it on the pcb terminals it was very accurate.

3 wires together in a 3 way wago ,the brown live from new fitting ,the brown that is going to the 1st fitting and the blue ( which should have a brown sleeve)being the switched live .( The two marked L&N in your original pic)
All earth conductors sleeved yellow/ green and fitted into an insulated terminal block ,including any earth wire from the fitting.
The new fittings neutral connects to the other blue wires that are currently together in a wago.
And at the switch positions the blue wires should be sleeved brown to show they are live not neutrals.
To given an update, I had a time to complete this today and this worked! Thanks for your help everyone.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back