Unable to open door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This morning I closed my back door and when I ttried to reopen by pushing down on the handle it wouldn't open. Eventually I did get it to open and have sprayed it with WD40. The handle still doesn't fully retracted the latch (if that is the correct name, not sure) into the door. As a temporary measure I have placed duck tape over the latch and using a brick to keep it closed in the day time to keep the heat in.

I have a separate mortice lock to lock the door but I need to be able to open and close the door. I have had a look online and I'm comfused by the variety and different sizes available. What do I measure to get the correct size? I know the make of the latch is Yale but no idea of any other information

Also do I need to replace the handles at the same time. How can I find which one to buy and is the removal and fitting of a new one within the capabilities of a person with no DIY skills.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Wooden door?
Can you remove the latch mechanism?
Really need picture.
Upvc doors you will need to get trade in to fix.
If wood
Maybe remove screws holding both handles from inside and out.
Remove handles.
Remove screws holding latch from the side.
Might need to push bar back in then grasp either side of bar and pull latch out.
Now size it up and buy replacement.

It's a wooden door. I haven't tired to remove anything yet. Thought I would ask before I did anything.

Sponsored Links
You will need to get latch out and just use the lock for now..
See what replacements are about for it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back