unable to remove handle from upvc espag window - jammed in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just r realised that a window in my house doesn't have a lockable handle on it so want to replace it.

Unfortunately, as much as I can get the two 'standard' restraining screws out, the handle itself can't be pulled free. The mounting block does then spin from freely.

Ive tried pulling the mechanism out a bit to see what's going on but that is well and trukry fixed to the handle spindle, moving one moves the other.

Im nervous about giving it to hard a wack in case it deforms and breaks the glass.

I've sprayed wd40 into the area behind the handle twice now over 2 weeks, but seeing no change, and don't want to replace the window just to meet the insurance criteria if a £6 handle will do.

Is there anything I might be missing?

I've done about 15 handles in the past, this is the first one I've had trouble with

Sponsored Links
The spindle is most probably corroded and has fused itself to the mech, you'll just have to percivere with wd40 and leverage.

On a side note that fact that its not a locking handle when the rest are suggests that window is a fire escape!

The spindle is most probably corroded and has fused itself to the mech, you'll just have to percivere with wd40 and leverage.

On a side note that fact that its not a locking handle when the rest are suggests that window is a fire escape!

Damn, That's what I thought had probably happened.

Fire escape - Good point, hadn't thought of that. All the insurance quotes I've had in the last 5 days, independent of cost, have said all accessible windows need to be lockable, otherwise the insurance is void :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back