Unable to remove handles from an external uPVC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

The lock mechanism on my door has been causing problems I wanted to replace it. In order to to that, I need to remove the handles and spindle in order to pull the lock mechanism out.

I have removed the small grub screws on each handle but its still stuck. I cannot see any other screws to remove and am stumped how else to remove the handles

Anyone have any ideas?

IMG_20200930_100720.jpg
IMG_20200930_100724.jpg
IMG_20200930_100727.jpg
IMG_20200930_100739.jpg

Sponsored Links
My guess is they are just rusted on the spindles, have you tried penetrating oil (not WD40) and leave to soak overnight?

A couple of screwdrivers inserted between the handle and the plate to rock and lever the handle off would be my approach (assuming the cover plates are not loose at all) then the plates should come off exposing screws.
Might end up needing a new handle too I am afraid though.

These people are good for spares if you need them.

https://www.handlesandhinges.co.uk/door-handle-picker/

The black plastic tabs are the ones screwed through the door, you need something flat, sharp and pretty stiff to get behind the handle to pride off, it'll feel like your going to break something but it's ok, still leave the grub screw out though as that bites onto the spindle which in turn stops you pulling the handle off the black tabs

Sponsored Links
My guess is they are just rusted on the spindles, have you tried penetrating oil (not WD40) and leave to soak overnight?

A couple of screwdrivers inserted between the handle and the plate to rock and lever the handle off would be my approach (assuming the cover plates are not loose at all) then the plates should come off exposing screws.
Might end up needing a new handle too I am afraid though.

These people are good for spares if you need them.

https://www.handlesandhinges.co.uk/door-handle-picker/

Hi Footprints,

Thanks for your response. I have not tried penetrating fluid (did try WD40), so will get some today and leave it overnight. I'm not worried about damaging the existing handles/plates as i will purchase a new set.

I will let you know how I get on.

The black plastic tabs are the ones screwed through the door, you need something flat, sharp and pretty stiff to get behind the handle to pride off, it'll feel like your going to break something but it's ok, still leave the grub screw out though as that bites onto the spindle which in turn stops you pulling the handle off the black tabs

Hi Crank39,

Thanks for the response. I did try prising out the black plastic tabs, but they wouldn't budge. Makes sense now you've said they are screwed through the door.

Just confused if I should be trying to prise out the handle OR the plate. Do you think the handle is actually attached to the plate itself and that its the plate I should be removing?

Pride the backplate off the black clips, the lever handle will come away with the backplate, the backplate thumps onto the clips and is held on with some teeth hence it's a bit difficult to pop them off

Hi all - Success!!!

Thank you Footprints, Foxhole and Crank39 for taking your time out to help.

Thanks to your advice, i managed to get a chisel behind the lever plate and pull it off - you were right about feeling like 'breaking' something, but with enough force it eventually came off.

I have attached some pictures of what it looks like in case its able to help others.

Thanks again :)

IMG_20201004_162320.jpg

IMG_20201004_162412.jpg

IMG_20201004_162428.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back