Unbelievable.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not my DIY disaster, but one that I inherited when I bought this place.

Have been troubled by water coming in through kitchen ceiling for a while now. Strangely intermittent - not more frequent during heavy rain, but a few days prolonged light rain brings it in.

Anyway, kitchen has a large triangular roofspace void under pitched roof. Time came this weekend to rip the water-damaged plasterboard ceiling down, and get proper repairs done, and hopefully locate the leak in the roof.

Ceiling down, and there, up in the roofspace, balanced on a plank that had been nailed between 2 joists is.... a BUCKET! Yes, a BUCKET, to collect drips from the roof leak. Now this is a completely sealed roof void - no way of getting in there. No hatches, no access doors, nothing. So some TW@T has gone to the trouble of KNOWING there's a leaky roof, nailing a plank down, finding an old bucket, and balancing it there. And THEN putting up a plasterboard ceiling!

Ahhh, man.... words fail me.

So that explains the intermittent leak: a long period of rain will fill the bucket, which will then overflow. But during a warm dry spell, the bucket will empty slowly by evaporation, so even a thunderstorm and torrential downpour won't fill it to overflowing, so it looks like a leak.

If I could get my hands on the b****r............

Sponsored Links
Can i have me bucket back now please :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
he he :LOL: :LOL: nice reply,sorry to OP,not nice to be left something like that!
:evil:

did you manage to take a photo?

If not put it al back & take one... :D

I've just shown my wife this post and she has an alternative solution:

She thinks you might be ok if you use a bigger bucket? :rolleyes:

It's an option. I've an old plastic 200-gallon water-tank in the shed I could use.

On second thoughts, maybe I'll just get the roof properly repaired :LOL:

Here's some pics ... you can see watermarks *everywhere* !

In this one, you can clearly see where it's coming in through the roof.....

I just got a strange look from the family after bursting out in laughter after reading that :LOL:

Would I be correct in thinking "Sticklebricks" ?? :D

Aye... previous owner had 4 kids, which in my mind points the finger directly at him, and a bodge DIY job. Tw@t..... I'm now lined up for a 4-figure roof-repair, weeks before Wifey's 40th b'day, Christmas, and kids birthdays in January!

I used to work in a large Norman Foster award-winning building with a flat roof, it leaked and had buckets in the false ceiling, like yours.

In bad weather, the janitors put dustbins under the leaks to catch the drips. In prolonged rain, they came round with a trolley to take away the full dustbins and replace them with empty ones. They also installed guttering in the false ceiling to catch drips from joints in the blacktop and lead then to the nearest bucket or dustbin. I used to have a bit of downpipe tied to the stanchion beside my desk, running into a bin.

The company spent a fortune on roofing repairs but it was never right.

why dont you put a few more joists in,put an old water tank up there connect some pipe work run it to the outside and hey presto you can water your garden when needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back