Unblocking close coupled toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My daughter flushed one of those plastic freshner things down the toilet and I haven't a clue how I'm going to fish it out. I've a good idea it's wedged in the s bend of the loo. Please offer advice coz I'm gonna need a crap in the morning.

Cheers

Tony

Sponsored Links
gimchee said:
its in between the double trap and I cant get my hand up an over the first trap.

Get your daughter to do it. Her hand will be much smaller and flexible.:cool:

Sponsored Links
the wife and daughter have both tried getting their hand over the trap but no success. I'm fearing the worst now, my pan is attached to porcelain tiles with sticks like s**t. I can't see another way though of getting that plastic thing out without removing the toilet.

You dont know its there for sure unless it blocks up!

When and if it does block up then use a big fluffy mop as a plunger. With the mop in the trap you can flush the toilet and pull back on the mop then plunge it to send the blockage through.

Keep an eye on any inspection chambers further down to make sure it doesnt or hasnt already caused a problem further on.

I see your dilemma. Do you trash the toilet now maybe to find that the freshener isnt there or do you leave it perhaps to cause a bigger problem further down.
Well my philosophy is that you dont have a problem till you have a problem. .... Its your call though.

its definitely in there coz the pan empties very slowly after flushing. Thanks for your thoughts though.

You`ve got a 2 trap syphonic :evil: ....skip it and put a decent modern one in it`s place...and save 3 litres per flush and a lot of agro later ;) they were invented by Thomas Rubbisher in the 19th. C. :LOL:

Nige, it's only a month old. It was part of a Barcelona suite from B&Q. I thought close coupled loos were modern. I agree with you though, wish I had skipped it, those double traps are a right cow.

Well, I ripped out the loo and the offending freshner cage was immediately visible. One good plunge on the mop trick would have done it I suppose, but i was worried about trying it before ripping the loo out in case I made matters worse. Three new floor tiles already gone down (lucky I had spares), grout in the morning, cut out another loo plinth and stick it all down like s**t again.

I won't be using those freshner contraptions again - geez!

Slugbaby, can't drill through the tiles. I already tried and the heating engineer tried, think they need some sort of special tiler's drill bit.

Mark the spot then very gently tap with a punch around the mark until you break the glaze. Then drill as normal.

gimchee said:
Slugbaby, can't drill through the tiles. I already tried and the heating engineer tried, think they need some sort of special tiler's drill bit.

I did a bathroom a while back. Funnily enough I was looking at the pics earlier. I went through several drill bits on the job. It took a good 20 mins to do each hole with my cheap cordless that I had at the time. What a nightmare it was, but the end product was worth it.
I had to start with a very small bit and work my way up in size. I made a small pinpoint scratch with a tile cutter to get me started and help keep the bit in the right place until I got a bite. A drop of liquid 'kind of' kept the bit from overheating.
The thing is you cant use the hammer feature for fear of cracking the tiles.
I reckon a diamond tipped glazers drill might have done a better job but I couldn't be arsed to run around getting one. When I weighed time against effort I realised I should have invested in one.

Glad you sorted it....but seems strange to be a 2 trapper :confused: anyway just a ring of silicone round the edge of the pan`ll hold it .....I just put dummy/short screws in the holes to block them...the cistern holds it all to the wall well enough ....2 like that here @ home been there for 5 years no probs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back