Unconscious bias

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-28 114748.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-28 114748.png
    29.3 KB · Views: 46
Sponsored Links
Unconscious bias - basically, because a person has been brought up to believe that some people are very different from them, so that without thinking (unconscious) they make a decision against that person.

This is different from just the sort of racism when a person is aware they are making a decision based on how they consciously feel about another person. Unconscious bias is when you act without thinking, and don't even know you are acting without thinking - it all happens so naturally to you that you will never question your own judgement.

This makes it near impossible change. Altering a person's unconscious bias is as hard as changing their politics, religion, views on sexuality etc.

Other people might notice your unconscious bias by looking at the decisions you make over time (one event can't determine it). If somebody interviews hundreds of people every year for roles in a business, patterns might emerge, which is why it is something HR departments in big businesses might keep an eye on, but for most of us it is less relevant.

It is always good to question yourself and your judgement though, most people make "instinctive" decisions that are really the result of decades of conditioning.

I guess the easiest example for most of us is friendships. People are naturally drawn to be friends with people the same colour as themselves - and this has been mentioned here and elsewhere as a proof that racism is natural - but this does not address the reason why it feels natural. The truth is, it is rarely really natural at all.

what one... Just say it Bobby
This one. What relevance could it possible have to the content of this discussion other than to suggest that google is invariably wrong.

Last Thursday afternoon I had a severe pain in my central lower spine that spread equally to my hips via my bum then round to my groin.

4am Friday morning after getting no sleep and still in pain I googled the best description of my pain.

Google returned with an exact description of what was going on. I needed hospital treatment ASAP OPERATION Phoned 999

5 Hours for an ambulance. Couldn't tell them what Google told me.

Eventually spoke with Cambridge who told me to stop taking the injection I'm taking, and get some stronger pain killers from my GP.

Rubbish I said I need treatment now.

No you don't she said... she won ... I did as she said and she was right google was wrong......

Sponsored Links
Unconous bias

Was working on a site last year had romanian
Tilers on site

I took my tools home every night :cool:

And kept an eye out on my van :cool:

Unconcious bias?

Never work for a builder or property developer

If u do get money up front ;)

Unconous bias

Tilers on site

That is conscious bias - unless only now you recall a change in your behaviour.

People don't tend to remember unconscious bias because they're unconscious at the time!

I guess the easiest example for most of us is friendships. People are naturally drawn to be friends with people the same colour as themselves

IMHO, this is not the case.
People become friends with people who have shared interests : colour has very little to do with it.

IMHO, this is not the case.
People become friends with people who have shared interests : colour has very little to do with it.

Maybe I should have said many people. Not all.

But, what about shared interests - to share an interest you need first to talk, with unconscious bias so prevalent, many people don't get that far.

Here's a researched example about teachers
https://news.yale.edu/2016/09/27/im...high-preschool-expulsion-rates-black-children

and one looking at children
https://www.edutopia.org/article/bias-starts-early-preschool-can-be-unlearned

Unconous bias

Tilers on site

I was working on site in Queensland with my spanking new Milwaukee and Panasonic tools. Every time i went for a break i took them with me or put them in my car. The Aussies were put out by this and questioned why I did it.

I was working on site in Queensland with my spanking new Milwaukee and Panasonic tools. Every time i went for a break i took them with me or put them in my car. The Aussies were put out by this and questioned why I did it.

I think that is pretty normal really - probably more to do with being in a strange place in general. If you worked on a new building site anywhere you didn't know anybody you'd probably do the same?

Round my way you're probably more likely to lose them from your car - a friend has his tools stolen from his car while working on, and the carpenter next door had the same happen to him - his car was parked just around the corner.

Maybe I should have said many people. Not all.

Perhaps "some people " might be better still?

But, what about shared interests - to share an interest you need first to talk, with unconscious bias so prevalent, many people don't get that far.

That's not (one - to - one) , again in imho, how social discourse goes. This is why dates are often more awkward than group nights out .

How many of your friends did become so, based on you holding one - to - one conversations with them?
IMHO, I got to know pretty much every one of my mates through group settings ; and there, some become better mates than others, through finding out that you share interests.

I guess the easiest example for most of us is friendships. People are naturally drawn to be friends with people the same colour as themselves - and this has been mentioned here and elsewhere as a proof that racism is natural - but this does not address the reason why it feels natural. The truth is, it is rarely really natural at all.

I remember the first time I see my best mate Ricky. He was 5 his brother was 3. Just moved in and standing on a wall where we used to play. we stood there staring and asking questions. They stood there very shy with snot running down their nose.

Clear as day I remember noticing they where a different colour (their Dad was Chinese Malay).
This has never mattered in friendship until this day.
We do have debates about racism we don't always agree. He hates racist.

It never occurred to me until maybe 5 years back that anybody would be racist towards him, as he's as English as I am.
Yes he said he's experienced racism on many a time.

I never grew up with a black friend, nothing to do with colour just never happened.

I think that is pretty normal really - probably more to do with being in a strange place in general. If you worked on a new building site anywhere you didn't know anybody you'd probably do the same?

Round my way you're probably more likely to lose them from your car - a friend has his tools stolen from his car while working on, and the carpenter next door had the same happen to him - his car was parked just around the corner.

I had my tools stolen from the drive in Walthamstow the other month

People are so brazen these days, all seem to have balls of steel - just walk up, try door handles, and if confronted, casually say they're looking for somebody, here for a job, etc. My neighbour in previous house came home one day to find 2 men in her back garden. They just said they were gas men checking it was safe. Total BS, no pipes of any kind in the back gardens.

Sponsored Links
Back