Under cabinet lighting problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some kitchen under cabinet flourescant lighting, the linkable type, there are 5 lights linked to a fused spur that is also connected to a 2 way lightswitch (one that controls the ceiling lights and the other to these lights).

Problem lies with one particular light, sometimes it will not come on and will only come on whenever I might turn another appliance on the same ring on. I've tried moving the light to another position in the link light system and it behaves the same.

Any ideas? Is there an underlying fault thats causing it or is it the unit itself?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Is the lamp installed properly......silly question, but it happens......

il78 said:
Is the lamp installed properly......silly question, but it happens......

Yes its in properly, tried changing with another bulb and same problem

Sponsored Links
If the unit has a starter I would change it, from what you have said the unit is reacting to a spike in the supply caused by the operation of a switch. When this occurs it is usually a faulty starter..HOWEVER, such small florries may have integral HF control gear, and if that is the case the control gear is US and would need replacing.

I dare say it would be cheaper and easier to simply replace the fitting.

FWL_Engineer said:
If the unit has a starter I would change it, from what you have said the unit is reacting to a spike in the supply caused by the operation of a switch. When this occurs it is usually a faulty starter..HOWEVER, such small florries may have integral HF control gear, and if that is the case the control gear is US and would need replacing.

Exactly what i thought :eek: lol

Thanks everyone, will get a new unit ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back