Under cupboard lighting - Help needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to install mains powered lighting under cupboards on two sides of the kitchen however I need some ideas on how to install them so no wires can be seen and require no plug. Your help would be much appreciated.

Please see the two images.

IMAG0941_zpsf6b19dcd.jpg

IMAG0939_zpsdb1879a7.jpg

My idea is to wire them to the back of the multi utility switch, ideally the one for 'cooker hood'. To get the wire joined to the back I was thinking maybe putting a weight on the end of cable, put a hole into plaster board above cupboard and lower it down to the housing of the switch.... Would this work in terms of power?

On the cooker side, im not sure what to use as the power source. Could there be a point in the cooker hood that I could wire too? Or maybe use the same approach and wire to the 'Hob' switch?

Also which lighting system would be best?

I currently have battery lights and don't like them.

I'm also considering plinth lighting but not sure how to hide the cable going to the power source?

Many Thanks

Anthony[/img]

Sponsored Links
Would help to see above the cupboards , the switches for appliances will probably only have live feed so you will need to install a switched fused spur off the ring main for power.If plasterboard walls then you should be able to fish cable a few inches up under rear of cupboard , rear of cup'ds usually sit away from wall about 6mm which is where I poke my cabling so it's not seen, if you choose lighting designed to sit at rear off cup's then should not make for much cable to hide.
This is what I did with my kitchen.

Lighting is best planned , before the kitchen is installed. (I'm sure you realise this now) But as Foxy has stated, there's usually a small gap behind the wall units, you could fish a cable through. (hopefully they are not IKEA units as there's no gaps behind them) Last kitchen I installed, I spoke with the customer about his lighting requirements and he was happy to have the sparky install extra wiring as per my instructions. Worked out great as all the under unit lighting could be turned on from 2 wall switches. ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back