under floor heating where to start

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks we are having an extension built and builder has suggested we put in UFH under the screed and then at a later date retro fit it to the rest of the house between the joists as we have to take up all the boards anyway due to other problems

However the problems i have is knowing where to start.

I found this site and like the idea of the speed fit system mainly due to having heard of speed fit before.

http://www.plumbnati...rfloor-heating/

However having had a quick look at the site i am lost as to what i may or may not need.

Could someone please point me in the right direction as to guide of what I need/how to do it, the best type of systems and the best place to buy the stuff from

many thanks

jon

Sponsored Links
I recommend www.nu-heat.co.uk

They can design the system for you.

If I was starting a job from scratch I would be very keen on UFH myself. Controllable even heat through out rooms. Better with solid floors/tiles rather than thick carpet though.

Its a very good suggestion if the floor area is quite reasonable.

However, you really need a proper heating engineer to specify and design it if you want it to work properly. NOT a builder regardless of their bull sh-it! They can place the pipes though as there is nothing very clever doing that.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Stick with radiators mate.

It works. Cheaper to install. Responds faster.

If you are pulling up the other floor boards use the opportunity to put some
insulation down there.

thanks for the comments it looks as if it will be about 200 sq meters 120 in new build screed floor the rest retrospective under wooden floor

Deffo worth it. With today's building standards in relation to insulation the new bit will be ideal, the old part may struggle depending on age of build.

this is my thinking that it would be worth doing in the new bit. as for the old bit i have to take up all the floors anyway to put in insulation and new floor boards anyway so is it worth doing it at the same time????

cheers jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back