Under ground clay drainage pipe filled with concrete

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Drain keeps backing up between to manholes since we moved in, every 3 months or so ,when I rod it I feel no resistance and it clears I just put my head down furthest away manhole looking back I can see what looks like a large piece of concrete.
It must be tapered and the end I rod to feel no resistance but other end looks square edge.

Any ideals how to even open up the diameter of the pipe a bit more (acid ect) I can get a bar onto the concrete but it is solid and don't wont to hit to hard as the pipe is clay.
Or as I think have to dig it up.

Thank you
kevin

Attachments

• IMAG0935.jpg
    IMAG0935.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 119
Sponsored Links
Thank you hertsdrainage for your reply ,it is solid I was hitting it hard with iron bar and hammer. I have emailed a local company waiting for reply just looks weird how's it a square edge and if concrete not tapered both ends

Sponsored Links
HI Andy I will try to get it jetted out . It does look a funny shape . I try and get my head down there again tomorrow, its just in my arms reach with a bar. Thank you

If you can shove a crow bar in between the pie and the blockage, it might just pop up and be able to be removed.

Andy

I bet that goes back a couple of meters like a big wedge.

If it’s not too deep you could dig it out and replace the section.

Cheers Ian yes looks like I have to dig it out ,not to deep just wanted to keep it flowing until I did it when warmer .

you get a connector hose for drain blasting for power cleaners, I have one, no where near as good as the professional ones but with patience can work, very much doubt that is concrete

Thanks for your reply's Ian I just arrange to borrow jet washer for weekend I give that a try first or if not join the home serve link you gave me . I hope its not concrete and jet wash moves it I keep you updated
Thank you
Kevin

Wear eye protection! A facefull of whatever it is will be nasty

Looks like fat or possibly scale to me. Scale will be pretty solid, but easy enough to remove with the right kit. I'd look for a local independent drain cleaning company, and ask them to quote. They can try jetting it first, but if that doesn't shift it there are other tools available to them that can remove even concrete from a drain without digging it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back