Under stairs draws - Are they worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mrs P is convinced pull out sections are needed under our new staircase. I was pla nine to have a door under the tallest part that lead into the understairs for storage. I am losing the argument.

They look great on the photos and if they work correctly probably have a use for more usable storage over the single swing door.

Has anyone done them? Are they hard and are they actually worth the hassle?

Sponsored Links
1695681378343.png

This is the sort of thing I am talking about

expensive and form over function with loads to go wrong in my opinion
as an example the very bottom small drawer can not be an actual drawer unless the top shoes are half the length off the shelve below to fully fit the shelve
also the grey bag in the middle shelve is around 40% overhanging as it needs to sit lower than the front panel to fit in
in other words lots off window dressing to look good when in real life 30-40% off space cant be used easilly with sliding as you cant fold and ram in but need to loosely stack to avoid jamming

the runners need a "wall" to run on so fully open is not an option you need partitions for support
if your hallway is not greater than the stair width you loose space

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
another point iff you have any services or even a gas or electric meter you need open access so drawer free in front

Not worth it.
I built some for a neighbour and after a few months he asked me to remove them and fit doors.
I built some cabinets to go in there instead.
Apparently things kept on piling up in there and the drawer system would jam and not close properly.
He tried a clear out and was ok, then things piled up again.
I've always had a door on mine and a small freezer.

the runners need a "wall" to run on so fully open is not an option you need partitions for support

I've thought about doing similar, but instead of the drawer style, metal tracks on the floor and casters. The tracks, would ensure the sections would slide into place, in perfect alignment.

What we have at the moment, is a fairly useless cupboard - A cut down door, with a squared top, much better would have been a door and frame following the stair angle. So everytime I go in, I clout my head ducking under the low frame. The low end of the space is just completely wasted space. At the high end, is the consumer unit.

I would like the compromise, of a couple of section on runners, leaving a nice wide door, but with the top edge of the door matching the stair angle.

Another cry of "SWMBO wants under stairs drawers" from over here.
I was thinking of a rolling tool cabinet with a "door" and skirting board fixed on to the end of it. Similar to HB's suggestion, some runners on the floor to keep it aligned.

my son-in-law built one , to fit the entire thing - not three
they use it all the time for shoes and coats
they have a door where you have the large at the end, as they have a landing so around step 7 ish,

expensive and form over function with loads to go wrong in my opinion
as an example the very bottom small drawer can not be an actual drawer unless the top shoes are half the length off the shelve below to fully fit the shelve
also the grey bag in the middle shelve is around 40% overhanging as it needs to sit lower than the front panel to fit in
in other words lots off window dressing to look good when in real life 30-40% off space cant be used easilly with sliding as you cant fold and ram in but need to loosely stack to avoid jamming

Runners are floor mounted.

I built a set like the image above for a long term regular customer a few years ago and they work a treat. The customer loves the space it gave them and i mounted them on full extension floor mounted runners to get maximum access. They do take some careful measuring and fitting but if done well they turn an awkward space into a real asset.

Decided to give it a pass. Stuck to a traditional door and wall panel.

Rather than the runners, you can have boxes mounted on wheels as trolleys. Large wheels with rubber tyres will run freely. But they will not go into position precisely enough for the end "door" panels to fit neatly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back