Under stairs wall remove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We would like to put an american style fridge/freezer in the location of our existing pantry. How can you tell if the wall (one to the left of the bin) is in any way a supporting wall? We have a 30's house and it is a brick wall, below are further photos.

DSC00541.jpg

DSC00544.jpg

DSC00542.jpg

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hello,

I am almost certain that the wall supports your staircase. You can only be 100% sure about this if you remove some of the boards so the staircase structure is visible. Assuming that this is the case you can built a small timber frame around your new fridge to replace the wall.

yep i agree with rou

you wont gain any height as it looks like the string already overlaps the door frame and has been cut away

will the freezer fit in under the top off the door frame!!!

what is the wall above that frame made from up stairs!!!

Sponsored Links
hi Guys - thanks for your responses. Just thought I'd better be 100% sure which bit I was referring too.

DSC00541sm.jpg

yep that area supports the stairs the wall above and possibly help support the roof ;)

yep that area supports the stairs the wall above and possibly help support the roof ;)
Big ugly things anyway; tend to look naff & out of place in anything other than a very large kitchen, had their day IMO.

Hello,

I am almost certain that the wall supports your staircase. You can only be 100% sure about this if you remove some of the boards so the staircase structure is visible. Assuming that this is the case you can built a small timber frame around your new fridge to replace the wall.

Do you have any further info on this? I am about to buy a house with a similar pantry (ghastly things) and want it gone to put a fridge there also.

Hello,

Do you have any further info on this? I am about to buy a house with a similar pantry (ghastly things) and want it gone to put a fridge there also.

You can defenately have the work done as long as there is enough space. I cant say exactly what new structure you need to add as it depends on many factors (what is above, span etc).
I think you have 2 options.. Either open up the existing wall, see what is there and make sure that what you build is a lot stronger or get a professional to have a look at it and design it for you.

Diesel.

Photos do not show all information required, but would say that you have either a S7QL4N or S8QL3N, which means that the stairs pitch up from the room the other side of cupboard, 7 straight steps up quarter landing and then 4 straight steps up to first floor landing, or possibly 8 QL 3.
You would not get a straight flight in with that cupboard door there. Come back and say if I am right or wrong.
If I am right give me the height of the ceiling in cupboard above floor and I will tell you what you can do or not do.

old un.

The photo shows a riser at about the height of the cupboard door head. The cupboard door is lower than a standard door so I reckon it puts the quarter landing at about 2m high. Which makes it a S2QL9N.

Diesals long gone by now though so we'll probably never know.

Jeds, Thank you for putting me right. I had not twigged the date.
I am the first to admit I am a bit thick, and I do not fully understand how these forums work, so could you please kindly explain for me, how I managed to find this post.
To the best of my knowledge and memory I picked it up from to-days posts. I am sitting here now doubting my sanity.
Anyhow, ref stairs, if you are right I would order a S9QL2N. We always take our first run first
Bless yer. old un .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back