Undercupboard lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wondered if anyone might know. I have just moved into a house and there's 3 undercupboard spotlights in the kitchen that look like the picture attached

None if the lights work and I wondered if it's likely something simple like changing the bulbs or an electric issue (checked the fuseboard already)

I see on top of the cupboards there's a little box with wires, and wonders if that helps advise?

Thanks very much

Attachments

• IMG_20240217_175613.jpg
    IMG_20240217_175613.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20240217_175354.jpg
    IMG_20240217_175354.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 47
Sponsored Links
Those are most likely 12V halogen lamps. Probably all busted, however there will be a transformer somewhere nearby which might have failed.
The front glass cover can be prised off to get at the lamp inside.

The round box with wires is just a connector for the two cables.

Replacement lamps may be available, but given the age and general unreliability of those things, probably better to consider new LED lighting rather than attempt repairs.

Those are most likely 12V halogen lamps. Probably all busted, however there will be a transformer somewhere nearby which might have failed.
The front glass cover can be prised off to get at the lamp inside.

The round box with wires is just a connector for the two cables.

Replacement lamps may be available, but given the age and general unreliability of those things, probably better to consider new LED lighting rather than attempt repairs.
Thanks appreciate the reply

I have to admit I'm not a massive fan of them, just figured they'd be handier if they worked than not at all.

One day plan to upgrade everything kitchen wise but probably not for some time, appreciate the help, thanks

Sponsored Links
There are two types of transformer used the toroidal transformer 1708340972242.png can last for years and years, normally round, and there is no problem using LED replacements, the electronic transformer 1708341112238.png have capacitors inside and so have a much shorter life, and this
1708341219934.png
means they need a load more than 20 watt (as far as you need to know watt and VA is the same) so using LED replacements often will not work as they use too little power.

I used a strip light Lidi-Smart-strip lamp.jpg thought would try with one, and if OK get another, however got it from Lidi and never seen them again. The problem is they need plugging in, so have a hidden socket so wife unlikely to try using it for some thing else, DSC_5237.jpg but they work well DSC_5238.jpg the reason why they work so well is they are wifi controlled, so hands covered in flour and realising she needs more light saying hey google turn on kitchen lights, will switch them on, more important she can easy switch them off. Other side of cooker has a light strip, but hardly used, and when it is, as with cooker hood lights, they are often left on. They are colour changing, but that is not really required for a kitchen. It does not need to be green.

Same lights used for centre of display cabinet 20230227_170900_1.jpgbeing able to set how bright, means can when required be turned up to supplement ceiling lights.

We put LED strip in our new kitchen here back in 2019 and still really happy with it. It’s stuck to the back of the pelmet at the front facing down and lights up the worktop very well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back