underfloor electric heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to use UFH in bathroom under ceramic tiles, I have a concrete subfloorwith 50mmx50mm battens at 400mm centres screwed to the concrete with 50mm Kingspan between the battens, then 18mm WBP plywood screwed every 150mm,
Question can I lay electric UFH matt direct onto this and tile over.
I have asked some manufactures and some say yes others say use cement based boards first,

Sponsored Links
I saw some under tile heating cable (not mat) and you had to coat the floor with some green sealant first. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called though. I'll have a look and if I can find it I'll post it.
Gcol

Sponsored Links
Oh right lol.
Well why can't you just decide on what heating system you're going to use and then ask that manufacturer what they recommend and run with it?
That way, if it goes t**s up you can always go back to them with a big stick.
Gcol

use "devimatt" elecctric underfloor heating-this is the best for the ease of installation/quality balance. 18mm wpb is part of the british standard for floor tiling on wooden surfaces in bathrooms, by the sound of it your floor is sound. use flexible tile adhesive. i've known for ufh to be installed on 6mm wpb and not cause problems. as for the green "stuff" described by another poster this is p.v.a. subfloor primer used with the "warm up" and "wickes" undertile heating. buy pva bond and dilute as sugested by the manufacturer. you should be ok. Check for "Part P" building regs 2005 requirements with regards to the electrics, bathrooms are a special location and as such need certificating, get it inspected and tested by a part p approved sparky, the cable sheathing will give you away if it all goes tits up later

Yeah Devi,the way to go,for ease and fitting.
i would personally lay a thermal board down over floor,,makes the heating soooo much more efficient.

Thanks for al the advice,I have more or less decided to go with "Devi" what sort of thickness and type of mat would you suggest?

confused 2 said:
Thanks for al the advice,I have more or less decided to go with "Devi" what sort of thickness and type of mat would you suggest?

I know this sounds duff but you really ought to have a look at the UFH that Fired Earth do for Bathrooms as it is in the matt form and is really user friendly. Also they do heating as well as warming mats and aren't to expensive

calvin.bailey said:
confused 2 said:

I know this sounds duff but you really ought to have a look at the UFH that Fired Earth do for Bathrooms as it is in the matt form and is really user friendly. Also they do heating as well as warming mats and aren't to expensive

Sorry I meant to ask about thickness and type of thermal board [not mat]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back