underfloor heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi to you all

Im planning on installing electric under floor heating in my house .The total load is 4800 watts as the three mats will work off one controller.

what size cable and fuse would suit this installation.

ps im aware of part p etc...

Thank for any help...

Sponsored Links
I'd be dubious as to whether or not a single thermostat will be able to accommodate that load through the internal contacts alone.

Anyway, if you're having to ask what size cable and fuse will suit this installation then clearly you don't have the knowledge required to carry out the work.

If you had at least some idea of what you were doing, you would have provided us with all the information necessary to answer your question. Are we just supposed to guess the length of the cable run, the installation method, etc?

Hi thanks for the advice.

the thermostat is 16a so i assume thats a max load of 3520 .Which means the thermostat will not be suitable ,for that load .

As you are so helpful on this site i thought i would ask another question .

Is there a maxium load in watts for 1.5mm and 2.5mm .

With a 1.5 lighting circuit on a 5amp fuse the max load is 1200

but does the cable have a load capacity???

The problem i have is a french man is wiring the house and he has put 1.5mm in for the underfloor heating the load for one mat is 2800 watts

They use 10/16 amp fuse for lighting which is on 1.5mm which give a 16 x 220volts = 3520 watts

IM concern that the cable isnt man enough

Thanks Again For any help

Tony..

Sponsored Links
Thanks For the reply .

The cable is 1.5mm ,single core,in 20mm plastic conduit exactly 4m long .radial, with a load of 2800 watts not sure on the fuse rating as stated can be 10/16 amp.and the voltage is 220

My problem is that because i dont know what the maximum load capacity this cable can take i not sure if what he plans to do is ok .

Im sure in england you would use 2.5mm

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back