Underfloor Pipe - Mains Water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have recently bought a Victorian House and two issues that have appeared in recent weeks is that:
1/ Boiler Pressure drops (have isolated the boiler and no issue so leak must be within the pipework) slowly over period of 2 weeks until system needs to be refilled.
2/ Damp on internal walls. A company came out and diagnosed rising damp but would like to avoid a chemical DPC as much as possible and solve the underlying issue.

So I took up some floorboards downstairs and went into the crawlspace underneath. The below two pictures show a black poly pipe which runs along the ground (Image 1) and then up underneath the kitchen (Image 2). There is significant dirt deposits around the pipe and when I tried to lift it is was very heavy and inflexible.

View media item 85222 View media item 85223
Is this the mains water pipe? I initially thought it was the mains electicity cable due to its bulkiness and weight but now think more like an older mains water pipe. It was damp to the touch an had condensation running down it.

Thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
I don't think it was lead as had a little bit of give in it and was black in colour. However agreed that condensation running down pipe and heaviness points towards lead. Guess need to have another look.

I does appear to be lead. You might consider replacing it with a larger plastic pipe. It is very old so you may get leaks in some inconvenient place. Although it looks quite big, the walls are thick and it is probably only half-inch internal diameter - less if it is kinked or squashed.

You are very lucky in having such good access.

With such a big airy space it is very strange that you are getting "rising damp" on internal walls. Are these adjacent to a solid floor, perhaps in hall or kitchen? Does the pipe pass through these floors?

I notice you do not have honeycombed sleeper walls, so is there a similar space on the other side?

Sponsored Links
With such a big airy space it is very strange that you are getting "rising damp" on internal walls. Are these adjacent to a solid floor, perhaps in hall or kitchen? Does the pipe pass through these floors?

I notice you do not have honeycombed sleeper walls, so is there a similar space on the other side?

Thanks for replies. Behind this wall is under the stairs which is a concrete floor and I cannot get access underneath, maybe it has been filled in? Same for the wall on the right, this is the kitchen which also has a concrete floor.[/quote]

old pipes may well leak, often at the elbow where they turn upwards to rise through the floor. Is your dampness near here?

Victorian and Edwardian houses often had concrete/terrazzo/tiled floors in kitchen and hall, so it may be original.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back